CCNA.. Starting with CCENT

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by zimbo, Dec 11, 2007.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Right after taking a module this semester in which we did some routing protocols (RIP, OSPF and BGP) - one of the module tutors pulled me to the side and asked me "do you know what CCNA is?!!" I then had to explain to him that im a little ahead of the class (which he realised) - anyway im looking to doing the CCNA on the side to my degree. Advantages is that he offered his help when he can and that i might be allowed to use the Cisco Lab so i will be saving on kit! It still an idea but im seriously considering it because im tight on cash at the moment and this could be a real good chance to get it now! So im going down self study route!!!

Right I have accross two sets of books and im not sure what the difference is in them! The both from Cisco press and the one is a library and the one is just for the CCENT exam. What i can gather the one thats more expensive is called Self-Study Guide and the cheaper library Exam Certification Guide Series... what is the difference? my networking isnt too shabby.. but i think i will need to learn a lot! so my first question is to do with those books and what other books should i be looking to get? A Router command one? Suggestions suggestions suggestions guys!! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

bump :(

3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Although I am not doing CCNA and don't plan to this is supposed to be the one to get http://www.amazon.co.uk/CCNA-Exam-640-801-Preparation-Library/dp/1587200953 if your short on cash being a student ask if your tutor can get your materials through some sort of bursary scheme.

You could even apply to a hardship fund at your college/uni and get the tutor to sign a recommendation form to why they should give you the cash.

Good luck:)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I believe the boxed set you linked contains the ICND1 and ICND2 Exam Certification Guides (you linked the ICND1 ECG). So, those two are part of the same series.

There is another series that is not called the "Exam Certification Guides". They are different... and I'm not sure exactly how to describe how different they are, or even which one is better.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!