CCNA Security 640-533.... dont like the boring bits!!

Discussion in 'Network Security' started by jonny7_2002, Feb 24, 2010.

1. jonny7_2002

jonny7_2002 Byte Poster

Is it just me is the legal stuff and ethical stuff that you have to learn for the CCNA Security REALLY boring!!! i am stuggling to get past the 1st two chapters because this stuff is boring the pants off me!! :blink:blink:blink

This post is just a bored email to vent frustration at the Boring bits!!! :twisted:

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNP R&S, CCDA, CCNA Voice, CCNA Wireless & CCNA Security
    WIP: CCIE V5 (when its out)
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It's router security... it's not international intrigue. :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

Hehe, funny, I was thinking a similiar thing earlier.

Some things are interesting, but these are really for me just the real world things that make me go "jesus, why have I never used X" or "why the hell do the switches/routers come with X on".

The theory side, while quite interesting, for me personally there's a point where I kinda get to before I drift off because it's algorithms and hashing techniques are things i'm happy just to know how they work rather than their inner mechanics.

Exam next week, the main hurdle on this exam i'm finding is the SDM on 3 computers I've tried it on find it really really buggy, I can't even get into 'additional tasks' :/

4. iSiDiS

iSiDiS Bit Poster

Hi

I found this as well - its down to the version of java installed on your PC. Im running v5 update 22 (although I think its called 1.5.0_22) if you google it you should find one of the older versions, and I havent had any problems since - also, run it in IE and it should be fine (well, as fine as SDM is).

I had a similar problem with ASDM on an ASA at work.

You may find some newer websites freak out and crash (had it on a couple after I installed the older version) - and I would turn off the update feature as it will constantly prompt you to download a newer version.

Hope this helps.

Certifications: A+, Network+, 640-821, 640-811, 640-553
    WIP: MCSE
  5. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

I never knew about the java thing.

Was very frustrating as for a lot of things are done in additional tasks so I couldn't configure them that way, also quite a few of the buttons to launch the wizards didn't work also. SDM also used to eat memory, sometimes up to 600mb :/

6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

SDM sucks. You'll never use it in the real world, why bother with it on an exam? Just get to the point where you know where all the menu commands are on SDM, then concentrate on the CLI. Cisco pisses me off with their constant pimping out of the GUI - I don't know a single network admin worth their salt who ever touches a GUI - irrespective of what product they're working on.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. BosonMichael

Yeah, I hate having to learn it just to develop test questions for it. The CLI simply works... there is absolutely no need for a GUI (particularly a flaky GUI as SDM is).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

CLI FTW

PS I'm learning l33t speak

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  9. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

Surely the CLI is there just as a marketing tool for cisco, so that they can sell their kit to companys with people with no cisco experience "look, it's easy, it's got a gui".

10. BosonMichael

Probably. But then those companies often have to hire/contract/rent someone who knows what they're doing to fix a broken config... sometimes harder than starting over from scratch! After that, a few of those companies will actually learn their lesson... while others will continue wandering blindly along in their ignorance.