CCNA Refresher

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by allyb, Aug 14, 2008.

1. allyb

allyb New Member

Hi Guys,

New here so hope you don't mind daft questions. :/

I completed the CCNA course 2006 but never sat the exam :oops:
    Just never felt that confident with the 3&4 to do the exam and didn't want to to do it in 2.
    I am thinking now that I don't want to waste all that work and maybe I should do a refresher course or even sit the course again :cry:

Can anyone offer any advice? Anyone been in a similar situation?
    I have looked into course and unless I wanna pay £££ for a bootcamp in 3 days or something, I appear to be looking at doing the whole thing again. Thanks in advance.

Ally

2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Daft questions are always welcomed! Thankfully though yours is not daft :p

How much of the CCNA course did you complete? You say that you were never that confident about 3 and 4 so did you complete only the CCNA1 and CCNA2 modules of the course?

I recently completed my CCNA qualification, (not that I particularly enjoyed it I might add) and I know that Cisco are changing the way their exams are set. More information concerning the CCNA course can be found here.

Bear in mind that Cisco requires recertification every three years so just ask yourself how useful the qualification will be to you.

To what end are you obtaining the qualification for? Will it directly benefit your current job? If not then you may be paying out money for a qualficiation that is too advanced for your current needs (you need experience with cisco gear before a company will even let you near their hardware) and as such it may not be right for you. Possible other suggested qualifications are A+ and Network+ which you can find in the relevant sections of these forums.

If you're sure you still want to go for it my advice would be to go and see your local college and find out some details about part completed past courses. (Whether the modules can be started from where they were left off, whether you need to do the whole lot again etc).

Hope this helps :)

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. allyb

allyb New Member

Hi

Thanks for the quick response. I did complete the whole course through gateshead college using the cisco.netacad.net site for the course work and class based and time in the labs, which i found the most useful as i feel most of the class based stuff i can do myself.
    I work in IT project management. My role at present would not involve cisco equipment but I am trying to gain a variety of qualifications to give me more avenues within project managment contracts as my current contract will not develop into that area.

I have approached the colleges it seems I would have to complete entire course again :(

4. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

My honest advice would be to not get the CCNA then. You'll be overqualified for the job basically. Companies will look at the CCNA qualification (after you've spent a lot of money getting it) see no experience with Cisco gear and say no.

Suffice it to say even though I have the qualification... I don't list it on my CV.

That's the long and short of it basically. Go for the Network+ (and/or A+) instead. They'll give a more rounded appearance to your CV and show potential employers that you mean business.

Hope this helps :)

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

So that you know, the material has changed a bit since 2006. I know the CCNA was overhauled in late 2007 to include IPv6 and wireless.