CCNA online courses - worth it?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by WhereTobegin, Jun 29, 2015.

1. WhereTobegin

WhereTobegin New Member

Hi everyone,

did anyone take an online CCNA course that was of great benefit - that, in your opinion, it really helped you over just learning by yourself?

I'm wondering because I see there are a couple of courses on Udemy, both of which have tousands of students and great feedback:
    h ttp://bit.ly/1BPzD5X and h ttp://bit.ly/1GNmMQB (delete the space in http, sorry, can't link before 5 posts)

They are on a whooping 96% and 84% discounts for the next 48hrs which makes them a great deal, or at least it seems like that...

I'm not that worried about the money involved, there is a supposed money back, although I'm not really convinced they would return the cash (the amount of money involved with the discount isn't big anyway).

The most I'm interested in is if it's worth to spend time on this? Would they really help someone starting out with studying?

2. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

CCNA is not necessarily a starter course, you would probably be better looking at Professor Messer's free videos for the Comptia stuff if you are just starting out.

That said you may already have knowledge and experience in IT but you haven't said, so it's hard to judge how much you may or may not benefit.

I have used the Chris Bryant course on Udemy just as reference etc, not a bad course and a well known instructor of Cisco certs etc, but it might be a bit much if this is your first IT experience.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  3. certnerd

certnerd Bit Poster

Online courses require you to be very disciplined in order to get the most out of them. If you are the sort of person who can switch off the TV, Phone and Children! for several hours at a time then pure online might work for you.

I am personally a big advocate of the Cisco Network Academy programme. I'm not going to say which academic institution I work for as that can be seen as advertising which I know is against the rules. A good Cisco Academy will deliver classroom tuition coupled with hands on labs and you still get 24/7 access to the course online too. There are some less than good ones however, so check with the college/uni that their instructors hold the certifications and they have plenty of lab equipment first.