Ccna Lab kit

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by griffin84, May 12, 2012.

1. griffin84

griffin84 New Member

Hi, I am looking to buy some Cisco lab kit to get started on my journey towards my ccent then ccna. I found 2 routers 2621 & 2611 and a 2950 switch for £75. I think this is a good deal, but then i'm just starting out and I would appreciate any advice you's have to offer.

Certifications: Hnd IT Support, Hnc IT support, Mcdst, A+
    WIP: Bsc Networking
  2. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

A good lab kit that will get you through the CCNA would be:

3 x 2611 routers, you will need this for setting up a virtual WAN connection between HQ and Branch Office, the third as a switch to your ISP once again simulated).
    3 x 2950 switches, you can get away with 1 switch for the CCENT as all you do on the CCENT is basic config and get clients pinging each other pretty much.

Once you move into the CCNA side of things you really need 3 for creating a trunk and setting up multiple VLAN's.

This is a pretty decent kit from ebay that will cover the CCENT its the same lab I have and it only costs £130. After CCENT get another 2 switches.

Hope this helps, any problems let me know!

CISCO Lab CCNA CCENT CCNP (Router Switch WIC-1T 2610 2900 2950 ) | eBay

Regards,
    Brad.

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+
    griffin84 likes this.
  3. Jonathon Legg

Jonathon Legg New Member

I can clarify what braderzTheDog has said is very correct, i have recently just purchased this equipment on Ebay and am awaiting delivery. Very good for the money in terms of what you can learn.

4. Darryl Licht

Darryl Licht New Member

IMHO... with all the free and low cost router/switch simulators out there I truly think purchasing a lab is a waste of money! I know people who have gone out and spent hundreds of dollars, just to let the lab equipment sit! Or worse yet, I know one gentleman who ordered an entire lab kit via ebay, only to discover that none of the routers included WIC or NM modules!

I've been seriously working on my CCNA studies for 3 weeks now, and there isnt a lab I cant do using Packet Tracer. The only problem with PT is you need to be a registered user in the Cisco Networking Academy to download it. I know many use the Boson sim, GNS, hell even the new Cisco Press books for ICND1 & 2 include a CCNA Network Sim!

Save the $$$, use a sim!

The only thing I cannot do is the physical connections to a router or switch, which is pretty straightforward and can be learned in a few minutes with a real rtr or switch!

Certifications: Comptia A+, Comptia Network+, MCP, MCT
    WIP: CCNA, CCNA Wireless, CWNA
  5. scottsilverbullet

scottsilverbullet New Member

if you're in the uk - 12portnetworks supply a great ccna lab and include cbtnuggets-
    12portnetworks.com - no I don't work for them - they just sell good deals - see on EBay.

Scott

6. Darryl Licht

Darryl Licht New Member

But why spend the money on a real lab when simulators are so good now? I teach networking fundamentals at a local college, we have several labs with cisco routers and switches... but the students prefer performing their lab assignments in the Cisco Packet Tracer from home in their furry slippers and pajamas!

I currently have three different sims on my PC that Im using in my CCNA studies: Packet Tracer, The Pearson/Cisco Press Network Sim by Wendell Odom, and the Boson Network Sim. I can do anything you can do with a CCNA lab kit and more!

A "good" basic lab kit will contain 2-3 routers and 2-3 switches, yet many of these ebay kits come with only 2 routers and some have no switches. A quick look at ebay and a search of "CCNA lab kit" brought up too many of these rip offs to count. Many of these kits do not even include the WIC or NAM modules you will need, or eventually need.... Caveat Emptor!!!

The other aspect I need to mention is that with only 2-3 routers you are very limited in the technicality of the labs you can do. Tough to do STP or pruning with only 2 or 3 switches. If I want to do a large STP lab... I just create as many "virtual" routers and switches as I need! No wires, no mess, no need for more than 2 or 3 PCs in my home. And cleanup is as simple as deleting the file!

SAVE YOUR MONEY!!! :study

7. scottsilverbullet

scottsilverbullet New Member

Darryl makes a good point - Cisco Packet Tracer is very powerful and allows
    for extensive simulation - and is good fun too....
    If you do want the actual kit for your Labs then 3 2911's and as many switches
    as you can afford. 2960's do the job just fine. Try and get 16m DRAM in the
    Routers as this will allow for the latest IOS which include SSH etc....
    The more switches you can purchase the better as you can build more complex
    STP scenarios. Watch out for bogus Cisco kit (purchase from a 100% EBayer)
    and as mentioned before make sure you get WIC's in the Routers as purchasing
    them separately is very costly. You can add more switches to your network
    for around £25-30 each.
    I managed to get 3 x 2911 Routers and a 2960 switch including a training CD for
    £99. Each router contained 2 x 10m Ethernet, ISDN (though not that useful for me)
    and one serial.

I use Cisco Packet Tracer alot when I want to create Enterprise networks.
    Dozens of Routers and 50+ switches - it gets a bit overwhelming but it's
    great practice. It's invaluable as you can emulate the biggest of networks
    which would be so impractical with real kit.

To download Cisco Packet Tracer (as Darryl mentions) you have
    to be registered as Networking Academy student, alumni, instructor, or
    administrator. Other Sims will need to be paid for but you can download
    lite versions or trail versions.

Scott

8. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

Sims are great but nothing beats the real kit. You don't get the same issues or the same feel and you get to learn where the various ports are and how to connect them.

I read or was told a story of a CCIE who was an expert (obviously) in configuration, passed the exam and everything. Started a new job and day one a router plonked on his desk and he had no idea how to access it. Everything he'd done had been virtual so he had no idea how to configure hyperterminal (or other) or connect to it.

Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??
  9. Darryl Licht

Darryl Licht New Member

I mean really... how hard is it to hook up a console cable or utilize telnet? Cmon man! Do you sell these labs? Thats the only reason I can think of to suggest them!

I still say that buying 2-3 routers and 2-3 switches is a total waste of $$!!! If you need to practice the physical connections to a router or a switch it will take one time... that's it! If you need more than that, its time to choose a new career field!

And you said;
    Have you even used a sim? Packet Tracer gives you an identical IOS interface, so does the Cisco Press sim. Do you have enough switches and routers in your "lab" to do a big VLAN and STP lab? I doubt you have 8-10 switches in your lab. If I need more devices I just create as many as I need, and it doesnt cost me a dime!

As for your story, if someones bright enough to pass CCNA they shouldnt have any issue with plugging in a console cable! But if this person just used brain dumps, etc... then yes its possible to just be a "paper" CCNA!