CCNA course for £550 - cheap?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Uruloke, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Uruloke

Uruloke Nibble Poster

Hey guys (and gals) A local college is offering the CCNA as a part time course, two evenings per week, for £450. You also have to pay for the exam at the end of it which I think they said was £95. So for a total of about £550, is that a decent price?

Also, they are an approved test center so I could take the exam there too.

Certifications: GNVQ (Going Nowhere Very Quickly!)
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi uruloke,

Sounds very good to me for instructor led training :D
    Which college is that? How long does the course take?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Uruloke

Uruloke Nibble Poster

The college is called Cygnus Online and they are based in Llansamlet in Swansea, I believe they are part of Learndirect. The course runs through the usual school year, Sept 05 to July 06, two evenings a week or one day a week. I'm thinking that it will be better to do the CCNA there and then go to computeach for the CCNP as it will work out cheaper in the long run.

I've put my name down for the course, I'm very interested in what the computeach salesment has to say about them or if he is even aware of them. I've been warned about them from various people, even ones who's recommend computeach. We'll see!

The college has a website, some of the stuff on there is out of date but the courses they advertise are for '05 to '06.

http://www.cygnusonline.org.uk

4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

By the sounds of it its one of the Cisco Network Acadamy courses
    I believe they cover a fair bit more than just the CCNA, including aspects of the A+ and other hardware/software stuff, I believe trip did it this way so may be able to comment more
    you can generally find the short CCNA courses for about a grand, so half price is a good deal, but u also spend a year doing it, thats a long time even for the CCNA

good luck with it though, I cant see how there could be much wrong with them if they are indeed part of the Cisco NEtwork Acadamy program, although, the trainers dont even have to be CCNAs to teach the course, one thing i wasnt fond of :)

ofcourse neither does a computeach trainer :P

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. Uruloke

Uruloke Nibble Poster

Yeah Phoenix, the fact that it's a year long course is the only thing that's putting me off. I'm thinking that I could get the CCNA and most of the CCNP done in a year if I work hard. BUT!! The year long course is cheaper AND it frees up more time for my normal life....hmmmm...decisions to make....

6. KeithNN

KeithNN Byte Poster

I was on one of those type of CCNA college courses a couple of years back. It was all paid for me while I was unemployed so, when I got a job I had to drop out :cry: There was a tutor there to help when you needed it but mostly it was work your way through the Cisco on-line tuition at your own pace (and you had your own log-in name so you could continue at home if you wanted). While it was down as a year long course you could take the exams at soon as you were ready - getting the qualification quicker than a year if you put the work in.

Certifications: MCSA/MCSE, MCDST, MOS Mstr, Sec+,Net+,A+
    WIP: 70-284
  7. Uruloke

Uruloke Nibble Poster

I like the sound of that, think I'll do that, as the price is almost too good to pass up.

8. Sarah

Sarah Byte Poster

Cygnus Online are a very good ILT provider I have worked with them in the past and have put a few candidates through CCNA with them. Its a mix between online learning with tutor support.

9. stupot

stupot Bit Poster

Dont know how long a go the original question was posted as this is first time on site (hello everyone) but..

Try Open University - www.open.ac.uk -they are offering the CCNA course for £295. Ok its distance learning but you get access to the Cisco online academy program, 3 days in centre training and a personal tutor and successful completion will gain you points towards a degree. Doesn't get better than that!!!

I've studied with OU before and there courses are excellent.

Certifications: Cisco IT essentials I
    WIP: CCNA, N+
  10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi stupot - maybe you could take a mo to swing by our New Members area to say hello.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  11. TheGothicToothfairy

TheGothicToothfairy New Member

CCNA is offered for £149 as a evening course at my local college (Great Yarmouth) don't know about exam though or if its a approved test centre!

12. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

The course I'm doing is £297 + VAT, it's distance learning with mentoring and a weekend hands on 'bootcamp'. I've given myself 2 months to do the course, booked the exam for 1 week after the lab weekend which I'm doing near the end of September and taken that week off work to do nothing but revise. I've also taken a week off before the lab weekend to dedicate to reading the course materials and I'm trying to fit in at least 1-2 hours a day studying and about 4 hours a day on the weekends.

I'll come back and post after the exam but there are plenty of positive testimonials on the website. It's the hands on lab weekend that will really make the difference I'm hoping, spending 2 days being shown how to use the routers and switches etc by the experts.

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging