CCNA Course at College

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by sarahrose, Jun 27, 2008.

1. sarahrose

sarahrose New Member

Good Afternoon everyone,

I want to change my career path and thinking of doing the Cisco CCNA course at a local college (cost is £500).

I have basic IT knowledge to A Level Standard.

Once I complete the above course, what are the job prospects for myself?

I currently work as a customer consultant for a pension company and in my mid twenties.

Is the Cisco course good to do, as I had a quote from computeach etc.. and they were guaranteeing work but the course was too expensive.

Thank you for your help amd knowledge

2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Bump :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings Sarahrose and welcome to CertForums. :)

The college in question probably presents the Cisco Netacademy Semesters 1 through 4, which covers the CCNA course work (at least it did when I took it about 5 years back).

I had earned my A+ and Network+ at the time. All my friends at school were taking course work related to Microsoft certs, but I wanted to be "different". A friend and I enrolled in the CCNA course work. It was top notch and that course, plus some extra studying when it was over (for about 4 more months), ended up with me taking and passing the CCNA cert exam.

I also took it because I thought it would enhance my career opportunities. Of course, I was at the very, very beginning of my career and no one in their right might was going to put me in charge of their routers and switches. I did get a temp contract job involving Cisco switches and routers, but it was for a bank that was doing an Ethernet rollout (they were formerly using Token Ring). I didn't do any of the actual configuration (that was handled by scripts and if need be, the remote NOC). I basically followed a written plan that had me physically installing the units and running through a test routine.

That was about the closest I got to using my CCNA. In fact, I ended up using it so little, that when it came time to renew the cert (every three years), I let it lapse. I had forgotten so much of the material by the end of three years, that I'd have had to work really hard to recapture it, and it just wasn't worth the effort for me.

That isn't to say that your experience will be the same, but if you have no current IT experience, a CCNA probably won't increase your chances of being hired for your first technical job by much. I got most of my early, contract work on the strength of my A+.

I still enjoy the concept of networking, but my current career as a technical writer and author just isn't aimed in that direction. I suppose if I wrote a lot about Cisco networking, it would be, but I do more technical manuals and books on software applications.

I don't think I can give you an answer that's more specific to your personal situation and hope that sharing a bit of mine has helped.

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Mordred

Mordred Bit Poster

Just to add my 2 cents, thats exactly what I have been pretty much told. Without experience no-one is just going to let you play about with their expensive routers and stuff so once again it all comes down to getting experience in the work place first and foremost. Stands to reason really. If you want to learn about Cisco routers and stuff I guess you could do the course out of personal interest primarily, and then it may dividends in the long run, although dont expect to walk straight into a job at the end of it.

I enrolled on CCNA through open university whilst studying full time for a degree, I quickly realised that it was a lot to take on with a degree and packed it in. Now I know that its not anymore likely to get me a job than the 2 certs I already have I've shelved my plans to re-take it until I have got my first job in the field.

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The two above guys are right on target. The CCNA is worthwhile... just not at the beginning of an IT career, as it's not an entry-level certification.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

sarahrose:

I am half way through my Network Academy. I took it for a few different reasons... 1.) I really wanted to learn more about the Cisco side of things. 2.) I feel the CCNA would be valuable to add to my resume. 3.) The credits count towards my bachelors degree. I've found the first two classes to really help understand more of my day to day job as a Network Admin. I have to say that in no way would I expect the classes and the cert to allow me to be the sole admin over a companies routers and switches, but it is nice to have knowledge to aid in troubleshooting, as well as help open up opertunities to "get my feet wet" so-to-say. I wouldn't listen to any comapy if they guarantee a job. It makes me cringe when I hear the ads on the radio that say "If you aren't making over $60,000 a year, then take our course and become a Microsoft Certified Professional. You can then make the money you desire." Yea, right. I've been an MCP for almost 10 years now, and I've taken a number of exams (still kick myself that I never took the last elective I needed to get my NT 4.0 MCSE, but I digress...) :)

To sum up my rant, I would do it because you want to and because you have an interest in it. You'll have to continue to practice in home labs or as tripwire45 said, you'll lose it. I work with a guy who works on firewalls and switches all the time, and he let his CCNA lapse and he is in no way prepared to take the exam all over again.

Good luck to you with whatever your decision is!

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822