CCNA cert £1200 wasted it seems

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by bazzawood30, Jul 10, 2010.

1. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

Thanks hope to blast my way through it, i just watched the first 2 cbt nuggets videos seems straight forward enough so far.

Certifications: ECDL,A+,N+,CCENT,CCNA,MCP,MCDST
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Good man, thats the spirit. If you have been reimaging machines, fixing OS problems etc for the fellas in work, the MCDST will validate this and hopefully improve your prospects. IT is like any other industry, you can't always get the job you want straight away, network administrator in your case. Sometimes you have to take a job (I'm thinking Desktop Support) to get your foot in the door. Keep us updated, Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Im thinking 'Desktop Support' would be great although a more realistic role with first IT job would be helpdesk unfortunately, although this will give you an invaluable background knowledge and a great place to start!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Perhaps you are right Asterix, rep for fair comment

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

Things are looking up a couple or recruitment agencies called today they had pulled my cv from a couple of applications i have made. It helps to have somebody pushing in the same direction.

Certifications: ECDL,A+,N+,CCENT,CCNA,MCP,MCDST
  6. RandyFears

RandyFears Bit Poster

There has been a lot of excellent advice on this thread! The CCNA cert is never a waste of time or money as it is such a good and hard cert to achieve. In my opinion the biggest mistake most people make (myself included) is that you can do the CCNA and get a job working on Routers in a networking environment. Of course, there is always the exception that disproves the rule where people have managed to break straight into it, however, rarely does it happen. Most employers will not let you play with their Network without the experience. They would much rather you get the experience at somebody else's expense and risk!

The guys have given solid advice on really just getting into any IT role even if it is helpdesk. It's the old fashioned tried and tested means of starting at the bottom and working your way up. Any experience is good experience and gives you the opportunity to sell yourself as experience really is the "golden ticket". A good way of getting the experience is to broaden your search and look further afield than networking such as IT Helpdesk and Tech roles and just keep hammering out those CV's.

I have made the switch from Telecommunications to IT and got my first job doing remote desktop support. Using software to dial in to servers, pc's and ironically non cisco routers which has opened so many more doors and opportunities.

I lost my job for a Telecomms company (before trying to make the switch into IT) and work was really thin on the ground so i took a part-time job working on a service desk just to get some quick work to pay bills whilst i looked for something better. Transpired that 2nd line engineers were really keen for anybody to do first line and when they heard i had CCNA and MCSE then suddenly i had lots of manuals and "how to's", thrown in my direction and it went from there. So the point i guess i am trying to make is that opportunities exist in the least likely of places and getting anything remotely involved in IT (and as far from where you want to be) can ironically lead towards the path you want to take!

As the wise old heads have mentioned before me. Sell yourself and get the experience. It is the "Golden Ticket!".

Certifications: never enough
    WIP: so many and so little time