CCNA, CCNP Starter Lab

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by Stuart Greig, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Stuart Greig

Stuart Greig New Member

Hi,

New to the forum. I'm looking for a change of career and Cisco networking is what i've decided to do.

Before i ask i'll apologies if this question is off topic or in the wrong section of the forum. Had a look and seems to be the best place.

I am totally new to networking and planning on a change of career so decided to go ahead with my CCNA, CCNP and possibly CCIE if required.

Due to the fact i have no prior experience in networking i wanted to get some hands on lab equipment so have decided to get a home lab. I have been looking on ebay and come across a few. I want one that would get me through the CCNA & CCNP not sure about the CCIE yet. Was looking for advice on the below set-up and if this would get me through the CCNA & CCNP. Thanks in advance for your help guys.

4x Cisco Catalyst 2950 [24 Port Switch]
    3x Cisco 2610XM Router
    4x Cisco WIC-2T [2 Port WAN Interface Cards]

7x Power Cables
    4x CAT5e Straight Through Cables (Unopened)
    2x CAT5e Crossover Cables
    4x Serial Back to Back Cables (Can be used to connect two WIC-2T ports)
    1x Serial to RJ45 Cable (For local configuration of hardware)
    1x Rack Mount

Thanks.

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

CCENT is for relative 'beginners' the rest of the Cisco certs are for industry professionals.

Note Cisco recommend taking IT Essentials 1 & 2 before even CCENT if you don't have much IT experience.

Someone with no networking experience should not be thinking about CCNP or CCIE at all.

Its like going to take a 'advanced automatic gearbox maintenance course', when you've never done an oil change.

What experience with IT do you have ?

Networking isn't an entry level IT job in general.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    Stuart Greig likes this.
  3. Stuart Greig

Stuart Greig New Member

Hi dmarsh,

Thanks for your reply. My IT experience is limited i did a 2 year IT course in college up to HND level so i have some level of IT experience but not in networking. My job at present isn't in IT so would be rusty. First obviously i want to start from the beginning and work on from there. I have an opportunity of employment if i can get myself up to CCNP level.

I completely understand its not going to be quick and its not going to be easy. Due to the fact i dont have any hands on experience i wanted to get the home kit so im getting to a degree some "real world" networking.