CCNA/CCNP Kit

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by Jellyman_4eva, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

Hi everyone,

I am currently studying for CCNA, I am doing 1 week every 1 month intensive for each semester and have just completed semester 3 with semester 4 starting at the end of next month. Due to this, I am worrying about forgetting the techniques and skills I have learnt, and have therefore decided to invest in some kit to train with via ebay..

I am looking for help as to what to buy to be able to study for the CCNA (I am thinking 2 switches and 3 routers?)

I then intend after perhaps a year or so of completion of my CCNA, to study for CCNP, so I would be looking to then add to my kit to be able to study that also....

Could someone please suggest to me the relevant hardware for CCNA, then CCNP...

I have looked on ebay for what I am using in my course, but it is very confusing, especially with all the different IOS versions etc etc.. do I need v 11 or v12? also what about Enterprise edition... its all very confusing! please help!

I am thinking of:

1 2621
    2 2620

and 1 2900/2950 switch?

Also do I need a serial module in there? W1C or whatever they are called?!

Do I need more/less?!

Bit confused on this one...

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots
  2. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

I've heard some good things about www.ciscokits.com, although I do not know if they ship to the UK or not.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

They ship to cyprus but at a price so im sure they ship to the Uk! :blink

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. Jonathan

Jonathan Nibble Poster

For CCNA the kit you mentioned is to high spec.

It would be cheaper to go with a two 2610 routers and a 1720 which has a fast ethernet port on it. I guess its down to your budget but which ever router you go with you want t make sure it has at least IOS 12.2. Also check the amount of flash memory and Dram memory is installed.

I'd also go for a 2950 12 port switch.

With regards to the interfaces most routers come installed with WIC-1T serial interface, just buy some Db60 cables then you can do OSPF, Frame-relay etc.

For three routers (2610*2 + 1720) and a switch it would set you back probably £425

But you could spend extra on buying memory etc.

The 1700 series routers aren't rack mountable which is something to think about.

Hope that helps

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP BSCI
  5. happyone3

happyone3 New Member

Why dont you save a bunch of headache and dollars and use Dynmips/dynagen. You boot up real cisco IOS and have a 15000 dollars lab in you laptop for free. I study for CCIE R&S and its works great. It has all the Cisco IOS futures. You cant do full Switch IOS but you can bridge real 2950, 3560 switches and it works flawless. You can do simple switch command if you use switchmodules on emulated IOS router. Does not have ISDN interfaces, but all other kinds of interfaces , serial, atm ,ethernet etc. You can do everthing, framrelay debugging traffic, you can even use traffic analyser, all router protocols that IOS support, like eigrp, OSPF; IS-IS, BGP etc And for CCNA you dont need more than 4-5 routers maximum and you computer will handle it if you have at least 1 gig ram. Its 10000 better than any simulator like Boson and almost like having a real lab exept cabling. The new CCNP you need intergated voice routers, wireless thin clients and AP, 3560 switches...expensive stuff..

6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Search for a user on ebay called irp70 I got all my CCNA kit from him, fast service and kit in very good condition.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. NetEyeBall

NetEyeBall Kilobyte Poster

3 2610 or 2620s.

You will need 4 WIC1T or 2 WIC1T and 1 WIC2T

If you go with the WIC1T you will need 2 back to back serial DB60 cables.

Or if you go with the WIC2T you will need two Back to Back Smart Serial to DB60 cables.

You could also buy 2 T1 CSU/DSU modules and do back to back T1s along with 2 WIC1Ts. You could make your own back to back T1 cat 5 cable.

So there are lots of different options.

Let me know if you end up wanting to buy 2 BRI-U modules. Of course you would have to buy an ISDN simulator to make them work..but it is on the current CCNA test.

I would check out ciscokits to get a feel for what you might need and then either buy from them or buy from someone else.

Hope this helps.

Certifications: CCNA, A+, N+, MCSE 4.0, CCA
    WIP: CCDA, CCNP, Cisco Firewall
  8. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

I goggled dynmips/dynagen. Looks like some kind of Chinese site.

http://blog.lupaworld.com/article/htm/tid_3565.html

Have you got a linky Happyone3 ? Or does a user first of all have to learn Mandarin ?

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  9. happyone3

happyone3 New Member

http://dyna-gen.sourceforge.net/
    http://hacki.at/7200emu/index.php

I currently use ipinternetexpert labtopology on a 2 gig ram (use 750 ram for dynamips - 12 routers: 3640s, 7200s with enterprise IOS) and old athlon singel cpu 3000+ and it works good. I can boot up 12 routers on that hardware. You have to get the IOS yourselves but the dynagen is for free. I can tweak it further to use only 160 mb ram if I want to. I am glad i saved lots of bucks doing that way. Its the closest the real thing you get. It does not simulate the IOS but the hardware and then run IOS over it.

I used a bit time to set it up right with ip internetworks toplogy (even tried it on linux and I am a noob on linux), read the turtorial (lots of videoturtorials for installing that is very helpful), forums and youre good to go. I got it work for SecureCRT telnet client, accessserver etc.

10. RelievedSimpleton

RelievedSimpleton New Member

About the IOS images. If you have to get them yourself, what is the traditional way of doing this (legally). Reason I'm asking is I'd like to use the program but have access to no IOS images. It also reminds me to ask about sites like Cisco Kits. It says they provide for instance 12.3.19 on CD for backup purposes but you're required to deal with licensing on your own? What is involved in this and is it the same process as getting images to use for this program?

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Get a 1-year SMARTnet support contract from an authorized Cisco reseller/partner. That's the only legal way to do it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!