CCNA £360 for a 5 day intensive course. Is it fishy?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Bluester76, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Bluester76

Bluester76 Bit Poster

I've just booked a place on a CCNA course. The course lasts 5 days 10.00 till 5.00 and at the end of it I get the certification. Does this sound right?

2. G1BB0

G1BB0 Nibble Poster

erm if you know Networking well then I guess its possible but I am doing CCNA now and no way would I be comfortable sitting the exam at the end of 5 days study. Have you seen the objectives for CCNA... theres shedloads lol

keep us posted if its any good tho

WIP: N+ & CCNA
  3. Bluester76

Bluester76 Bit Poster

I know networking fairly well. Thats why i wondered if i should risk it.

4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

35 hours and then sit and do CCNA? IMO VERY FISHY! Where is this going to happen? :blink

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

How well is fairly well?

6. Bluester76

Bluester76 Bit Poster

I've been doing network support for about 2 years altogether but have had trouble getting a job recently so decided since most jobs now ask for CCNA/MCSE it wouldn't hurt to get one.

Its going to happen in London.

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Have you ever worked on a Cisco device before?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

It does sound very very fishy to me as well.

Also, you said that "at the end of it I get the certification". Just to clarify, you do realise that by simply partaking in the course, you do not obtain the cert?

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  9. Bluester76

Bluester76 Bit Poster

no i haven't.

Yes i realise this. Money has not left wallet yet. What sort of time frame are we talking in order to get a CCNA?

10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Sorry no idea with the timeframe havent done the CCNA.. but be on the lookout for them feeding you braindumps cause i really cant see them teaching you the CCNA in 5 days... more like 5 days of studying braindumps! :rolleyes:

11. Bluester76

Bluester76 Bit Poster

Is that such a bad thing? Could potential employer actually catch you out especially if your knowledge of networks is good and the experience on your cv would suggest you can back it up with solid experience?

Thanks for your help by the way.

12. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Depends on your current familiarity with IOS and Cisco kit in general.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  13. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

sorry are you aware what braindumps are?

14. Bluester76

Bluester76 Bit Poster

No, no i don't.:oops:

15. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

any links for this place?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  16. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Braindumps are questions and answers from the actual exam or test - sometimes carbon copy! Its cheating and very unprofessional. Our forum is very against braindumps and people who use them - so im sure now you understand concerns about 5 days of training for a course that could take months to complete.

17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you have no real-world experience with Cisco, then you cannot back up your certification with solid experience. Just because you know networking doesn't mean you can configure Cisco devices.

Yes, an employer can absolutely catch you as being "paper certified", meaning, you can pass an exam, but you can't actually DO the job a CCNA should be able to do. Experienced interviewers who are fluent with the technology will pick you apart. Certifications without true understanding and knowledge are useless.

I'd stay away from a 5-day course. As stated previously, many of those "training" companies (and I use that term loosely) will feed you questions from the live exam (braindumps) to help you pass the exam. Using braindumps is highly unethical - using them is no different than stealing a professor's final exam from his or her desk. Unfortunately, those questionable "training" companies don't care about that... they just want your money, and they'll certainly help you pass the exam by hook or by crook.

If passing the exam is all that's important to you, then hey, go for it. But if you *truly* want to be a good tech, avoid trying to find a "shortcut" to artificially boost your career. Learn it the right way. You'll thank us later.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  18. Bluester76

Bluester76 Bit Poster

19. Bluester76

Bluester76 Bit Poster

You've got a point there. Trouble is most training companies try to sell you a package and to be honest that doesn't interest me at all. Back to the drawing board then.

20. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

LOL first of all uni is more rewarding!! And neither can i believe it buddy! :tongue

[​IMG]

[​IMG]