CCENT/ CCNA Regional Knowledge

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by spoovy, Aug 13, 2011.

1. spoovy

spoovy Bit Poster

Reading through the official Cisco CCENT study guide I notice that for some subjects (eg wireless LANS) only the US standards are covered (ie for channel frequencies). I am not in the US, and was just wondering if questions in the exams will be tailored to the locality the exam is taken in, or will they still be based on US standards?

Cheers.

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: CCNA
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

My guess is that they will based on the standards that are covered in the book. You can look at the ICND1/2 blueprint to see what is covered, etc..

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. spoovy

spoovy Bit Poster

Thanks for the guess! :rolleyes: :) Hoping for an informed answer though!
    The official Cisco book draws attention to the fact that standards referred to are US standards through use of asterisks where appropriate, but it doesn't say whether this means we should be seeking knowledge of the equivalents in other countries. Either possibility seems plausible to me.

4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

On the CBT nuggets they also talk about the US frequencies only... Although the guy does mention the European standards are not far from being the same, the frequency standard for example, might be off by a few Mhz in the European standards, but general speaking, they are very similar.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

You could always memorise both, more important in real life to know the regional standards, but I'm under the impression that most Cisco and MS exams are written in the US, so id be more inclined to go with the US version of standards for exams, from memory I cant remember (or would have been allowed to say) what the actual questions were in my exam.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  6. spoovy

spoovy Bit Poster

You're right of course, it's better to take an extra time to learn the real life useful stuff as well as the exam stuff; i'll play safe and do that.
    Cheers

7. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

According to the objectives from Cisco:
    "• Describe standards associated with wireless media (including: IEEE WI-FI Alliance, ITU/FCC)"

However delving too deep into actual frequencies at the CCENT/CCNA seems a bit redundant since there is no way to alter the frequency settings (that I know of) outside the manufacturing process. Knowing which channels are available and which are non-overlapping seems to be the main region-specific concern.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  8. Wireless_Snake

Wireless_Snake Nibble Poster

As Cisco is an american based company all there exams/quals are based on the american standards. For the exams you need to know them.

Certifications: BSc (Hons) Computer Network Tech, CCNA, CCAI
    WIP: CCNP, VCP 5, SCP