cat5 labeling

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mr.Cheeks, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

does anyone label their cat5 cables?

im gonna move one of my computers from my room to the spare room and to re-wire the cable into the loft and back down into the same room, but theres gonna be a lot of cables... the hub will go there two...

i was thinking of writing the device its connected to on a piece of paper and putting sellotape on it at each end...

any suggestions how i should label them? (btw: its all one colour)

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Easiest way of labeling is to get one of the cheap labelers from Rymans or Maplins. Much clearer than my handwriting, anyway!

And this is what we we use in our major datacentres as well.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Here at work, i've written numbers from 1 to 5 in black permanet pen on each end of the cables. I've also labled one up as PPC, MSpc ans PSPC. I know what each means and its easy to tell where it goes.

I dont like sticky lables as i find they fall off over time. Mind you permanent marker can fade too. As they say "The Choice Is Yours!"

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  4. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I just use different colour cables, works fine for a home network

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Our data network is color coded - yellow for servers and network devices, blue for end users, gray for telephony, red for power-over-Ethernet.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Mr.Cheeks

i got loads of grey cable, and only grey, so i dont think the colouring part will work.

may try the marker first, and if that wears out, looks like its gonna be the label, unless of course, you lot got some more suggestions...

i wont be doing this till poss Sunday, so you have plenty of time...

7. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Well i do know a way of marking cables so that it dont rub off at all (needs to be scratched off!!). But it requires money....

Company i used to work for mark cbales for Aerospace with source destination codes. Thier machines can do various lengths with any mrkings you like... Unfortunatley they use Lasers to do it so its expensive.

Mind you it was great fun seeing what we could mark with them!!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  8. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Can ya not just use permanent marker, and then cellotape around the cable to protect it, that would be nice and cheap

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  9. Mr.Cheeks

thats what im thinking of doing...

10. C_Eagle

C_Eagle Byte Poster

At work and datacentres they use a colour system as you can't do that at home I'd go for the colour markers. Colour the cable close to the glass connector and sellotape it. Different clour for different cable or if you only have one colour pen 1 line for one 2 lines for the next and so on.

You can also get crimp on connectors for CAT5 cables that are pretty cheap. (crimp over the cable like a sleeve near the glass connector)

Or go wireless! lol

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, 70-270
    WIP: MCSA 70-290
  11. shadybrady

shadybrady Bit Poster

Certifications: BSc. Hons, MCP 70-210
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA, MCTS / MCITP
  12. zcapr17

zcapr17 Nibble Poster

In our datacentre we label all cables with the name of the switch or patch panel port that it comes from. You don't want to use the computer name because they seem to change all the time.

At home, each room in my house has two ethernet ports which are all connected back to a patch panel in the study. The ports in each room are labelled with the corresponding number of the port on the patch panel in the study.

BTW, at work we've got a Brother PT-18R:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002XL4AU/

You can connect it up to your PC like a normal printer and do batch jobs, clipart etc from your PC! It kicks R's! :p

Z.

Certifications: MCSE:2K3 MCTS:Vista VCPv3 ITILv3 Sec+ L+
    WIP: MCITP Enterprise Admin 2008, CCA