Cartoons from when you were a kid

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by dalsoth, Jan 25, 2009.

1. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Just ordered Dogtanian, Dungeons and Dragons and the Thundercats full series DVD's from Amazon.

I know they are kids cartoons but i used to love them when i was a kid along with others such as Mysterious Cities of Gold and Willie Fog 80 days around the world. Maybe in a few years when i have some kiddies myself i will let them enjoy these real cartoons instead of the cheap spongebob style cartoons they pass off as entertainment today.

Anyone else remember these cartoons or have any other favourites i should be adding to the collection for me... i mean my future kids? :oops: :p

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

cool.

There's a channel on sky 157 which shows old cartoons, defenders of the earth is on at 6 every night :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Good show, i even remember the theme tune :D

Will have to check it out. :thumbleft

4. greenbrucelee

I watch it the other day and that Mandrake bloke got done for robbing a bank by magic but it wasn't him.:D

5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I already own Dungeons and Dragons. I don't think I'm allowed Thundercats :oops:

I also own all the 'Tom & Jerry' (I mean classic Tom and Jerry) DVDs and the Looney Tunes Golden Collection.

I'm also a sucker for the proper Disney films, and have Sword in the Stone, Robin Hood, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty and Snow White.

Bucky O Hare was awesome. Captain Planet was cool - and I also like GI Joe. Then there was He-Man (camp and wonderful) and She-Ra (one of my favourites).

There was also a little-known (as far as anyone else remembers) cartoon on Nickelodeon called 'Where on earth is Carmen Sandiego' where these kids (I think) basically chased this woman around the planet. I got so many facts through that cartoon - including Charles Dickens' pen name (Boz) :biggrin

Then there are classic kids films - which they don't seem to be able to reproduce any more. If you don't own them already, definitely get Labyrinth, Willow, the Dark Crystal and Legend.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. greenbrucelee

captain planet rip off :D http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2SMRBw45PYU well it's more of a piss take

7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Those were the days, not like alot of the cartoons now a days (well I have to watch them because of my son :oops: ) :)

Anyway, anyone remember (apart from the great cartoons already mentioned):

Transformers (the original series)
    The Centurions
    Ulysses 31
    Bionic Six
    Duck Tales
    Ghostbusters (the original series)
    M.A.S.K
    Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (the original series)

There are more cartoons that I loved watching, I just can't remember their names at the minute :)

-Ken

Yes, I'm a big kid at heart (as well as mentally) :biggrin

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

I was very close to buying the Ulysses 31 series also but the cost was rising a little too high :D

Gummi Bears
    Visionaries
    Wacky Races
    Mask
    Ewoks
    Pirates of Dark Water

Loads of great memories. Check them out on Youtube for the theme tunes. Takes you right back.

9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Best cartoon of all time is Foghorn Leghorn - fact.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  10. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

I was born with the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or 'hero' turtles as it was called in the uk.
    MASK, transformers G1 and not forgetting pole position which was epic :biggrin I am sure theres a car theme going on here :blink

how did you find out about defenders of the earth was on flim 4 GBL? :D seems like a odd channel to pick to put on a cartoon.

-Mallet

Certifications: MCP
  11. greenbrucelee

Film 24 doesn't show much so it has to have something of quality :D I was just flicking through one day and came across flash gordons kid trying to blow up ice station earth :) then I looked through the planner and saw that it was on everyday

I didn't watch many cartoons when I was a kid, I was more interested in hammer horror films. The cartoons I used to wath were Cities of gold, willie fog, Dogtanian, teenage mutant hero turtles, he-man and she-ra. I did watch Tom & jerry amd roadrunner, I have never watched a disney film like the lion king all the way through.

12. postman

postman Byte Poster

Scooby Doo (but not including Scrappy Doo) was brilliant especially the episode they did with Johnny Bravo:D of course Johnny Bravo was great itself and Sealab 2021:biggrin:biggrin:biggrin

WIP: A+
  13. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Anyone here use to watch Dragon Ball when they were a kid (I would have said Dragon Ball Z, but I didn't see that until much later & GT wasn't as good as it should have been)?

It was a great series.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  14. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Not sure of Dragon Ball...

I do remember the Fraggles though :biggrin The puppets not the terrible cartoon that came later. Also used to be quite spooked by the Moomins, again not the cartoon but this kind of puppet cardboard show of them. Weird little pigs.

15. greenbrucelee

I always found the original moomins spooky too :D

16. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

Ahh the good old days

Loved MCOG, dont think i ever got to see every episode of it :(

And Trapdoor was great :)

Berrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt

Also loved Count Duckula

coming Ducky-Boos :D

Anyone remember Tea bag?

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  17. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

I still remember the episode of moomin where that small girl was sailing on ice.. in the night...... by herself..... and everyone was hibernating or something and then out of the blue she looks to the right and there was.... a ghost :eek:

I am sure the original dragon ball was made in the 80s???

-Mallet

Certifications: MCP
  18. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Wasn't Tea bag the woman who now works behind the bar in Emmerdale?

Grottbags and EMU was good stuff also... There's somebody at the door :twogit

19. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

And Knightmare too? What a classic that was :biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  20. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Ha! i was thinking of that show a minute ago. I used to hate Knightmare and it kinda grew on me till i really loved it. I used to like all the choose your own adventure, fighting fantasy books by Steve Livingstone and Ian Jackson so it only makes sense i would like Knightmare.