Careerjobsuk experiences

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by It Nathan, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. systempsyche

systempsyche Nibble Poster

no-one can send bailifs without having court authority, send them an email stating that you do not agree with their contract and that they dishonored the contract and you want them to stop communicating with you and threatening bailiffs. That should cover you. As for halifax and investigation, let them do their investigation then if not successful find a no win no fee solicitor.

Certifications: A+, network+, server+, mcdst, mcp, ccent
    WIP: mac integration, ACSP, ACTC
  2. cautious chick

cautious chick Bit Poster

Hello everybody,

I was "caught" by them this week, don't know what came over me but I stumbled across this website - thankfully! I immediately sent an email saying I wish to cancel my contract and expect my refund. I also cancelled my card. I have emailed them twice today to ask for confirmation of my written request to cancel, which has been signed - I copied and pasted the confirmation fom royal mail tracking service, so I know they have it.

They were quick to reply to emails before, now I have emailed twice today and not one reply. How do I confirm that they have cancelled my place if they won't reply to my emails? Can anyone give me some advice????

Thanks

3. Bartmanekul

Bartmanekul New Member

Hi folks, I haven't been caught by this, but I am suprised that they now have an ad on the biggest UK online jobs site.

It's on jobsite.co.uk. Can't link it as I'm a new member.

I saw this and reported it from the get go, because although I now have work I still get the emails about jobs, and I find this highly misleading to say the least.

This is when I did a google search for them, only to find the website, but this forum was the top result. So now I know that it's actually a scam, and have updated my email to the jobsite accordingly. However, does anyone know what body would look into this?

I will be more than happy to be the one reporting them, I know what it's like to be out of work and you can grab anything that looks like a lifeline.

They might even be on directgov, the goverment jobsite.

4. cautious chick

Hi Bartmanekul,

I can't find the job advert I applied to as I had applied to so many, it was ridiculous! I did apply for some through Directgov, so they could be advertising there! What would be your first step to reporting them>?

Thanks

5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It's unlikely they have any interest in confirming your cancellation.

Just make sure you keep records of times and dates, copies of emails and letters etc.
    That way, if they ever pop up again in the future you have proof that you took reasonable steps to cancel.
    It'll probably stand up in court if it has to.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

The problem is, it isn't a 'scam'.
    A scam is when somone tries to get money out of you by fraud.

This is a case of misleading advertising, which in itself is naughty but not criminal.

Problem is, when you read all the small print, they deliver exactly what they say they will. The trouble is, nobody ever reads it all so you aren't getting what you thought you would get.

At present the rules say something along the lines of 'advertising should not be worded in a way that would mislead an average person'. It's a bit vague, and depends on how you define average.

You could try complaining to the advertising standards agency, and you could also write to trading standards (or consumer protection, or whatever they are now).

Your letter should contain plenty of detail, plus copies of letters and emails, facts, dates, times, people you spoke to, copies of the ads etc. Do not just write 'I woz scammed and wont my munee bak' on a bit of bog paper. TS get millions of these every week and won't even look at it.

The words you need to use are 'misleading' and 'misrepresentation'; they are two of the best weapons to use against anyone who tries to sell you something by fibbing to you.

7. cautious chick

Thanks for that JonnyMX! I have some mundane email basically not answering my question - something like Our customer service team will notify you when it is cancelled. They will not directly answer my question - Have they received my letter?! I'm going to email them again - would it be worth CCing the OFT or some other organisation?

8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

If you have the royal mail tracking info, you know they have your letter so I'd just leave it at that.

However, if you would feel better knowing for sure, you need to write to them asking them for written confirmation.
    Tell them if you don't get confirmation within say 7 days, that you will forward all your documentation to the ASA and trading standards. If they still don't reply, then do so.

But remember, most important - keep records of everything you do and all the responses you get.

cautious chick likes this.
  9. cautious chick

Thank you so much for your advice. I have a separate folder in my email with every correspondance between us. I have even done a screen print of the receipt of written confirmation from Royal Mail. I'm not happy with the way they are avoiding answering my question directly and don't want them to turn around and say they cannot confirm my cancellation has been processed and thus take out money for something I am not studying for.

I enrolled on Tueday but cancelled and it was received on the Thursday, adhereing to section 3.4 of T&Cs. Shoud I email them again and demand they answer my question - Is my cancellation being processed?

Cheers

10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I'd say you've done enough.
    Places like this are sales-led. That means that all their resources are aimed at getting new business - they've got no interest in anything else. They may well have cancelled your account, or they may not. You're never going to know. They will tend to rely on students being careless or unobservant. Keep your evidence and look out for payments going out of your account. You may end up getting threatening letters or calls from debt collectors in the future - they'll hope to scare you into paying by threatening you with court action etc.

As long as you hang on to your paperwork they won't get anywhere. Just stand your ground.

11. cautious chick

I have cancelled my card so they cannot take anything out. I am just anxious about having to wait for nearly a month when they will want to take a payment and nothing will be there. I need confirmation for my peace of mind that this has been cancelled, I am sick of the way they skirt around questions. Can anything be done to stop these people? It was too late for me to find out what this really is, only after stupidly giving my card details away!

12. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

OK, by all means write to them again.
    As I said - give them a clear deadline in which to respond and make it clear what you will do if they fail.

13. cautious chick

I have emailed them saying I wish for the to directly answer my question, if I get no reply by Monday lunchtime I am going to email them again and phone, stating that I am going to complain to Trading standards etc... What do you think the worst case scenario would be?:x

14. cautious chick

Did you send your request to cancel in writing?

15. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Worst case scenario?
    Hard to say.

Probably they ignore you or try to deny that you followed proper cancellation procedure.
    Then you get angry letters asking for payment.
    Then maybe calls from a debt collection agency threatening you with court.
    Then nothing.

It's just bully tactics - a form of social engineering that says if you get an official letter or an official sounding phone call you end up doubting yourself and paying up. But there are no teeth behind it.

Debt collection isn't usually a profitable business. It takes time and effort and uses up resources. It only pays out with quick wins when people fold quickly. If you stick to your guns they'll usually move on hoping for a softer target.

Best case scenario?
    You never hear from them again and others are forewarned by the posts here.

16. cautious chick

I got my refund! I'm guessing this is over now!

17. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Ok as this issue has now been resolved and there are no posts from the OP, I am closing this thread.

If there are any other issues members wish to post about regarding this subject, please create another thread.

Thanks
    AJ

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong