Career Shifter

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by kharken, Jul 20, 2013.

1. kharken

kharken New Member

Hi everyone!

I am an Electronics Engineering graduate and still thinking about shifting into the IT industry. Well to tell you frankly, electronics has caught up my interest since technology has amazed people as it advances. But considering the job opportunities in electronics engineering field, I think the IT industry has more to offer. I graduated outside the US with the electronics degree but I am living now in the US. As part of our curriculum, we took cisco 1-4 and damn, networking is as interesting as my course. So right now, my dilemma is what to choose from the two. I really can't choose between the two since both of them advance rapidly and certifications of each field requires you to continue educating yourself in order to be competent.

If I pursue IT, what steps (certifications) should I take first? Would taking certifications help me land my first job?

Hope you could help me with my problem.

Regards.

2. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF.

Normal route for networking is Network+, CCENT, CCNA and so on. Depending on your IT skills you might need to start with the A+ certification.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  3. kharken

kharken New Member

if for example, I jump right into network + and ccna certifications (and passed them), do I have increased chances of getting hired as network engineer or administrator?