career in web design

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by wes, Apr 27, 2004.

1. wes

wes New Member

I`d like to start a career in web design and would like advice on where to start.
    i want to gain the CIW qualification.
    I have absolutely no problem training at home on my own, and would prefer to do on line based training.
    I have so far learned MS word fund/prof/expert user, Spreadsheeting through Excel fundamentals, and am in completion of intro to databases and spreadsheeting pro user.
    these were studied through learn direct.
    i now have a very basic level of computer knowledge, and am now seeking a data entry job as a foot in the door into IT based work.
    My goal, as mentioned, is the CIW, and i would like to know any advice any one can give me as to where to begin and who to study through.
    At the moment its looking like nitlc, and i think i`ll avoid computeach after reading some of the posts here!(they haven`t even bothered to get back to me after 3 times of me contacting them :eek: ).
    I have plenty of study time as i`m currently unemployed and have been for a while. :(
    Please give me some advice so i can get the ball rolling!

Thanks
    Wes. :D

Moderator Note, SimonV: Title Changed, please use relevant titles when posting

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I would initially suggest that you push any Providers that haven't come back to you Wes - if they still don't respond, then forget them.

Many of us here use/ have used Nitlc, but that is not to say that they are a Course Provider that CertForums actively promotes in any way. You'll see different opinions of several providers elsewhere on these Borads.

Also, what about local Colleges, etc - you can sometimes get plcaes on courses part-time that would let you work both in class and at home. Also, check the classieds in your paper -they often carry details of who is offering the courses you may be interested in.

Sorry if this doesn't help greatly, as I'm not vastly experienced in Training Provision, but the rest of the guys will be able to help more soon.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. wes

wes New Member

I have just found a centre called Taitec which is near to where i live - a bit of a chance find really.
    they offer a foundation course and above in the CIW qualification.
    They also offer distance learning so i`m hoping to study both in the centre and from home.
    I`ve also enquired about the ECDL as i feel this would back up the knowhow i already have and enable me to gain the first steps to office based employment.
    fingers crossed....... :?
    hopefully i will soon have the ability to gain decent, suitable long term employment whilst studying my CIW stuff. :D

4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Sounds like a good plan there Wes. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Hi Wes

I'd recommend the ECDL if your looking for an ordinary office job, but it would be a good foundation certification to have anyway.

There are some good books out there on the CIW courses. I used the sybex books from amazon. Also an exam cram book too.

All of the exams (back in my day) started with the fundementals exam. Pretty basic - theory if the internet and basic HTML so thats the place to start if your looking for home study....

Check out the CIW website. Which is www.ciwcertified.com

:D

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  6. wes

wes New Member

cheers. :)

7. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Just had a quick look....

This is a possible sybex book for the foundations course

This is the exam cram book

NOTE: I wouldnt advise the exam cram book on its own, as you will want something a bit more in depth, but as an extra resource and fresh / different view on things, its good. Also the tear out sheet at the front which highlights the key points for the exam.

But check the website as the exam requirements could have changed....??

Hope this helps.

8. wes

wes New Member

good stuff, matt.

9. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

No Problemo....

I was in your boat once too, although i didnt do the CIW website design stuff i did the website admin course....

Have fun !

10. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Wes

Checkout the eshop link at the top of the page, it will take you to Amazon, and a little bit of comission so Si can keep the forum running. :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  11. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Good point AJ and a good plan!

I'll bear that in mind next time i order something....! :D

12. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Sorry to start with the doom and gloom but it is extremly hard to get into web design these days. I know I tried myself then changed direction. For webdesign you need to be expert in many areas such as HTML, JAVA, Flash, Graphic Design, I-Net, PHP and MYSQL etc. I'm not kidding when I say that employers demand a lot from web designers these days.

If your still wanting to get into web design I would suggest getting hold of a copy of Macromedia Studio (Dreamweaver, Flash, Fireworks, Freehand) and learn to use it as this is probably the most widly used commercial package. I would also recommend learning something like PHP and MYSQL as this will greatly increase your employement chances.

Sign up to a free webhosting service such as Lycos and design your own website to learn on and evolve it through time by adding more complex things to it such as PHP script and a MYSQL database little by little.

I don't know a lot about CIW qualification, but also try mini courses at your local college in web design to get you started. Good luck... :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  13. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Those are fair points slypie, i feel employers do expect alot from web designers these days, but if wes is determined enough to learn what he needs to learn it can be done.

Wes, we're give you all the encouragement you need here, as long as you realise you will need to learn alot and start at the bottom to become a success as a web designer.

Maybe the best way to go is to try and get a job with a company and try and get involved with the web design. Be pro-active, learn from someone who is in the field.

If you want to boost your CV, then try and volunteer for charities and produce some sites for them, this will look great on your CV.

Just some thoughts....

Here is a site where IT people can volunteer to help charities....

:roll: :D

14. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I forgot to add that it's vital that before you go for any interviews to build up a portfolio of websites that you have designed just like a photographer would. As any company worth their salt would ask for samples of your work... :D The best advice though is never give up and always continue to learn in your choosen feild of work...

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  15. irrelevantelephant

irrelevantelephant New Member

producing your own site to demonstrate your skills is a good addition to a portfolio too. you'll find most web designers have one which demonstrate their skills.

have a search on the web to see what other web designer's personal sites look like. after all, this will be the competition so its good to know what you're up against. if you're starting out then don't try and make it all singing, all dancing. keep the design & navigation clean and simple, better to do a small site well than producing an over complicated site badly.

remember its about communication.

16. wes

wes New Member

well, i gained a place through taitec on a CIW course, which i`m pleased about.
    I had a very bad experience with nitlc....

17. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Good to hear your doing well wes, out of interest what was so bad with your NITLC experience?

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  18. Gonzo

Gonzo New Member

I am doing the CIW Webmaster course from Scheidegger. A company who have had some pretty negative comments posted elsewhere on this forum. But so far I have no complaints. Sure the course is expensive but they do give you a copy of Macrodia MX Studio to keep.:oops:

19. culp

culp Bit Poster

If I could make my decision over again, I wouldn't go for Computeach, Spend 18 months learning Dreamweaver & FrontPage then buy the Sybex study guide and do it independantly from any training provider. The qualification is good, but it doesn't really teach you about being a web designer, its just a qualification.

Certifications: CIW
    WIP: Sun Certified Programmer
  20. Nailbomb

Nailbomb Bit Poster

Hey Wes,

I have just started the ciw webmaster course with skills train(sheidegger) I think that it's a great course and offers many of the different aspects mysql, javascript, flash, html, perl all sorts.

With the course that I chose, they garuntee you a job with 25,000
    pounds per annum at the end of the course. They also give you the macromedia studio mx package that slypie mentioned earlier+ teach you how to use it.

I am very poor and was also able to get a student loan, so i only have to pay£17per week-bargain! It also gives you home study
    and they assess you, because they don't just take any old morons on!

Overall I think this is the best way to get the ciw.

Certifications: none yet :-{
    WIP: C.I.W. website design manager