Career in Networking & Network Security

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by pawan, Jun 13, 2009.

1. pawan

pawan New Member

Hii I want to make career in Networking could u please suggest me the course, certifications n all

2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Depends entirely on your background i.e. experience so you might like to introduce yourself here first : http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21

Assuming you are completely new to IT then start with CompTia A+ and N+. After that it really depends what you're doing workwise and your experience.

If following a Microsoft route then it's MCDST and MCSA/MCSE. If you're working in a Cisco environment then it's CCENT/CCNA and onwards and upwards from there.

Security is a difficult area to get into as you really need a lot of experience. Staring points are CompTIA Security+. From there you can go a Cisco security route of follow some others.

So much will depend on experience though that you need to make a real effort. If you're completely new to IT then you may also want to view the video referred to here : http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=33512

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Okay...

First, start looking for an entry-level IT job doing ANYTHING IT related. While looking, start studying for the A+.

Next, get your A+. Follow it up with Network+ and the MCDST.

After you get your first IT job, work in the industry for several years to build up experience. Work your way up from entry-level to desktop support to server admin to network admin. Learn security along the way. THEN you will have your career in networking and network security.

Certifications alone won't do it. Unless you've got an uncle who is an IT director and is willing to give you a shot without experience, you'll probably have to do it just like the rest of us did: by starting at the bottom and working your way up to networking and security. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!