Career going down the tubes

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by michael78, May 10, 2010.

1. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

I fdon't want to put more oil on fire here, but I noticed that there are double standards on this forum.

Certifications: MCP, HND Business Information Systems
    WIP: A+
  2. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I don't want to get anyone else in trouble. Maybe if possible this thread should be deleted as it doesn't serve any positive purpose and my original question and point of the post has been lost.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  3. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Pretty much ditto to that. That said, we do not know (neither is it our business to know) of your situation at that employer. Maybe we would have felt the same and wanted to jack the role in?

From a purely outside view, I'd have to agree with BosonMichael and some other comments that maybe the best thing for you to have done was just suck it up and get on with it while putting all your after hours resources in to finding a new job.

Work is scarce the world over but there are new roles out there to be had. Hopefully more in the future, it can't get any worse! Suck it up, keep your head down and work hard, even if others don't appreciate your work at least you have the self satisfaction of a) knowing you're doing a good job and b) being proactive looking for new roles (the new job being out there for your taking!).

Good luck.

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  4. michael78

I tried to suck it up mate but spent 5 weeks waiting for Security Clearance and getting messed around without pay waiting and waiting which they pushed back 2-3 times. Turned up when I was told I had clearance to find I had basic clearance and spent another 5 weeks in an office staring at a wall as I wasn't allowed to do anything. Once my clearance came through thought training should start on the system and nothing happened. Broken promises and lots of meetings later and another 4 weeks passing I went enough is enough and left. In total I did nothing for 3 months and started to go spare. Can't really say much more as I'm bound by secrecy act but to say it wasn't a good experience.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  5. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Have to say I'd be going mad if I was in the same position. That said, getting paid a very good wage for doing nothing and bound by the secrecy act... who are you? Gordon Brown? :biggrin

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

When that kind of thing happens to me I take it upon myself to use the time wisely, whether thats researching for certification or building and testing environments I always make sure I have something to keep me entertained.

It's better to be paid for doing nothing than doing nothing and not getting paid. If I were you I would have loved the fact that they were paying me for doing nothing, it's not my fault that they can't get their act together.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Time to let this one go guys. It's going no-where except to annoy other people.

The usual CF thing here, the thread will not be locked unless someone kicks it off again.

If you want to carry this on, I suggest someone starts another thread and then perhaps it can remain on topic, either that or carry on via pm.

Thank you

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  8. michael78

I did I studied and sat my AD exam. At work I couldn't do anything as it was a secure environment to the point I wasn't allowed to walk across the room as it broke security. Easy to say on the doing nothing mate but in reality not easy to do. Don't regret leaving but I regret taking the job.

9. michael78

lol hope not :biggrin

10. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

Generally I would advise somebody not to leave a job like that, especially on 36K, but sometimes it can be for the best and a turning point in your career.

The only problem though with this strategy is that your agency might sue you for breach of contract if you have broken the terms of the contract by simply walking out. The agency has a contract with the company and thus the company could sue the agency, and so in turn the agency may seek compensation from you.

Remember when we sign any contract we may be held to it, that's what the word 'contract' means - its fundamental to business of any kind.

That's why I'd advise anybody else in this situation to be cautious - there are legalities.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
  11. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

For 36k a year i would lick peoples faces and rub wasps in my eyes.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  12. michael78

Agreed Don't really want to open this thread up again but suffice to say if they did sue they wouldn't have a leg to stand on with what happened.

13. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Contracts generally aren't worth the paper they are written on anyway.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  14. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

Fair enough maybe that's the case. But its ironic that many 'contractors' don't stop to think that what they are doing is entering into a 'contract'.

The other point is - in an interview if you completed the contract and have a decent reference from them, then it obviously looks better than if you pack it in prematurely, or leave a blank space on your CV.

But no matter - good luck, I know what its like.

15. michael78

I knew it was time to go when they asked me to get into a skip to retreive 40 phones another office threw out. Wasn't happy to say the least especially when I was asked to clean them. It's funny now but it wasn't at the time but yes agree I would never ever walk out on a contract normally. That was just one of the many screwup's they did and we are talking about one of the biggest IT companies in the world.

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  16. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I do believe that in years to come this may well be one of those things that you come to regret saying. It doesn't help the situation, nor is it constructive, so please keep the immature thoughts in your head.

Ta. 8)

17. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

I sympathise, as I've worked for some large organisations as well, and seen some pretty disorganised working environments. You always got to remember though that there is a legion of people out there who will jump at a chance of a well paid job, even one they do not enjoy very much or find stressful.

Despite that leaving a job can be the right decision in some exceptional cases, and if you are a committed IT professional, a period of unemployment can be a good opportunity to learn some new technologies in depth and gain experience through the use of home labs and simulators.

However its worth paying heed to the advice of some of the experienced people on this forum, as they can tell you what you will REALLY need to know to be successful in a particular field. TP's, however good they may be, cannot tell you the whole inside story, after all they are only trying to sell their particular training programs.

In my HO the best thing to do is learn the whole range of areas that pertain to the job you want to do, ie. be a real pro, not just a good jockey on this or that system or product. And go with a TP at the right time once you are fully prepared, to get a good qualification and gain the benefits of the contacts that a TP can provide.

18. michael78

totally agree so whilst I'm off I'm looking for work but I'm studying Exchange 2007 and have my exam in 2 weeks, after that it's ITIL and I've booked a VMWare course (£1645 :cry:) to do either November or early next year and plan on taking the VCP exam after the course. It's a lot to do but to move my career in the right direction it's what I have to do.

19. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Agreed. I was earning that two years after entering IT - and that was back when dinosaurs walked the Earth. Don't forget that just because that seems like a good wage to you now, it won't if you've been in the industry and progressed through it for a number of years.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  20. michael78

On reflection I shouldn't of posted my salary as it was bound to get some people's backs up which is understandable. Money wasn't the issue on this contract just the contract itself.