Career going down the tubes

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by michael78, May 10, 2010.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Yeah doing Exchange 2007 exam now as I need to close a gap in my general skills with Exchange. I've not been with the same company all my career as I've tended to move on every 2 years or so as progression has been no existant or I've been made redundant. The big problem I have is living and working in Newcastle which IT is n't a big industry so my career is limited hence needing to change direction. I simply don't have a choice but to try something otherwise move which the wife and myself don't want to do or change career which I don't know anything else.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. michael78

Can I get this straight with my career as I really don't think people get what I've done or what I'm after. I've worked for 7 years in 2nd line from the start. Worked first for a company for 2 years with no progression as the company was tight and there was only 3 of us and was told there would be no scope to progress so left after 2 years as it was time. Then went to another company and was made redundant after 18 months due to the company finances. Then came 2 contracts and then my last full time job looking after an office and training centre for a shipping company. Now I thought I could do things when I went for interview and when I started whilst I loved the job then company was setup so in the UK we didn't look after our Exchange servers ourselves and I wasn't allowed to touch a lot of the settings on the servers eventhough I had previous experience but that was the way things were. Over my career I have pushed myself to do all of my certs and skills. The fact is I've had very little opportunity to expand my knowledge within a company is just unfortunate but I certainly couldn't ask the company to rewrite their IT setup.

I can't move as wife has a good job and I have a family so looking at jobs in my area they tend to be Sharepoint, Oracle, Programming, Project Management etc. I'm not under any illusion I'm going to walk into a Sharepoint job for £40k but I have enough experience to transfer my skills into other areas. People do this in IT and if they didn't then we wouldn't have people working in IT. I know I'm going against experienced people in take Sharepoint but what I'm hoping for is to say appeal to a company who want an all round person to include Sharepoint skills and then to start to get the experience needed. In IT it's all about knowledge, personallity and luck in getting a good job/career.

Not a go at you mate just need to express my background in case people think I've sat at the same company for 7 years twiddling my thumbs doing nothing.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If that's what you think I said, you really, really need to re-read it with a clear, cool head. That's not at all what I said.

Last edited: May 12, 2010
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. michael78

Maybe Michael you need to reevaluate the way you put your point across within putting people down with comments you have made without getting your facts straight.

5. BosonMichael

I didn't put you down. I simply said that perhaps you should take the advice of those who have "been there, done that" when you haven't yet "been there, done that". And it is fair to note that it is not I who resorted to name calling.

I find it fascinating that people without much experience or career advancement often find me to be condescending and/or rude, yet people who are senior techs and have years of IT experience find my advice to be accurate and helpful.

Eh, if you listen, you listen; if you don't, you don't. You have all the info you need.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. michael78

So Michael you think saying things like

"You have the point of view of someone who has sat doing nothing for 7 years waiting for your employer to train you up."

You don't think saying that is going to cheese me off :rolleyes: you make a comment like that and expect me to take it when you don't have a clue about my background or what I have or haven't done in my career. I'm not the only person you have went steaming into a debate with all guns blazing. You may mean well but the way you put things is less than to be desired. I'm not an idiot and don't like being put down like one. I declined your point of view politely as I didn't feel it was right for my circumstances. I think a truce and leave it at that. This thread has now done the opposite to what I set out to get from it.

7. BosonMichael

You're the one complaining about employers not giving you training. You then proceed to rattle off a string of excuses as to why you're not successful... your location, your employers, your luck. In your own words, you said,

I'm sorry that you had such a horrible, unlucky career... but luck favors those who take action and prepare themselves.

Let's be honest: the reason why you're mad is because I didn't tell you what you wanted to hear. You think you know how employers hire, and when I told you that you are mistaken, you got pissed. And from that point on, you've disregarded everything else I said, using emotion instead of logic.

I don't need your "olive branch". I'm not here to make peace or to make you feel good about yourself. I'm here to give you advice so that you can be successful in your career.

8. michael78

Yep goes to show my previous post was right. I didn't complain about employers not training me in my original post and wasn't my original question. I was answering a question about my view on training which I stick to and isn't what you state I said so don't know where you get that from. I respectfully declined your advise as I didn't agree with it but you obviously didn't like that so started personal attacks and comments without knowing my career or background. Lets be honest it's not the first time you have shoved your opinion down peoples throats. I haven't had a horrible, unlucky career but can see my line of work coming to an end so posted to get advise on the next steps to take and you barge in and now it's just a farce thread that you have decided to preach to me.

I respectfully declined your advise in previous posts as I didn't agree with what you said and also it wasn't what I was after and no I wasn't after a it will be fine mate you learn Oracle in 10 minutes and walk into a 40k job and buy a Porsche and a villa in Spain. I was after finding out what people thought was going to be big in the near future. Leave the job search to me as I don't want negative comments like yours where you basically say don't bother as you won't get a job. What kind of helpful attitude is that??? I'm an experienced IT professional and can adapt and learn new things otherwise I'd still be plugging mice in for a living.

9. BosonMichael

Giving you my opinion and logically defending it is shoving it down your throat? How can anyone force someone to have an opinion? That's absurd. Nobody can force an opinion on anyone.

I don't care if you accept my advice or not. I'm still going to logically defend it. If you don't like it, there's a little ! at the top of this post that you can press. But, unlike you, I've not broken any forum rules.

It's helping you by attempting to save you money, time, and frustration. Hey, if you wanna try it your way, knock yourself out.

You *can* get a job. I gave you the roadmap that you can use to advance in your career. You might disagree with it, but it's neither negative nor unhelpful.

10. michael78

Don't think I have broken any rules as I have a right to defend myself when you post comments like you did

11. BosonMichael

The moderators disagree. You have a right to "defend yourself"... but you don't have a right to call someone an idiot.

If you disbelieve, try it again, Sly.

12. michael78

Michael this is getting boring now. I replied to Blue Rinse in the next post and asked him to read the posts leading up to that post. You don't also have the right to say or imply I've whined about training or done nowt for 7 years sitting on my backside. Again I have the right to stick up for myself. If you can't take rejection of advice you give then that is your issue not mine.

I tried to be polite and you obviously can't take that. It's clear you get off on baiting people as your doing now. You just can't let it go can you if someone doesn't take your advice. Go preach to someone else as I don't want nor ask for your advice as it's negative and unhelpful. Lets just leave it at that and not post on this thread anymore as both of us have made ourselves look childish. In the future to stop this from happening again maybe it would be best if I ask a question is to not answer it as it's clear we aren't going to get on and I personally don't want a repeat to this thread. I will also not post on any threads you start.

13. BosonMichael

Sorry, Sly, I'm not gonna agree to that. If you don't like my replies, go find somewhere else to post.

14. michael78

ok I'll rephrase that I'll just ignore your posts :biggrin

15. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Actually Mike, after what seems like a pretty obvious case of the OP not really wanting your replies, you may well do good to heed your advice

this forum is open and encourages open dialogue, but if its clear two members are not seeing eye to eye, a bit of humility might be required here, if Slypie doesn't want your advice (which he has seemed to indicate), perhaps you could stop giving it to him and let him get some feedback from others before the thread derails out of control.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  16. BosonMichael

For this thread, I've said my piece. But I'm not gonna avoid posting in any other threads he starts just because he doesn't want me to. I post for the good of everyone who reads them, not just for his benefit.

17. michael78

Benefit :rolleyes: Do what you want Michael but again your advise is very opinionated which I don't want or find helpful if others do then thats their choice. If you post on threads I start then I ask you not to post directly to me as I don't want to get into another war of words like this. Common sense on both sides is needed.

18. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Are you guys going to have a rap battle or what? it's like 8 mile on these forums!!!! :biggrin

Seriously though, I think we can all agree that this isn't going anywhere.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  19. michael78

lol fair point last post I'm making on this thread as it's going nowhere as you say.

20. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Do you honestly think i would comment on a post without reading the WHOLE thread?

That isn't how i work Slypie :dry

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)