Career Development

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by shadowwebs, Sep 27, 2012.

1. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

Just wondering whether any company still believes in the term 'career development' for there staffing, I have worked for many companies over the years and found that this has been more of a case of getting someone to come and work for them and then hiding the term as quickly as possible.

It has been more a case of self-development, and then once I have put myself through the certifications, and informed my workplace, my new skills have not been used to any advantage in regards career progression, salary enhancement or anything else to that effect.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  2. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

I have worked for several companies where there has been little to no career development. I generally find that I pay for my own certs and courses which my employer either has no interest in or wants to use my new skills for nothing. This often leads to me finding another job that I can utilise my new skills whilst getting a pay rise along the way. My current employer has set up an all new learning portal for courses. This is good for some staff but if you aren't in sales or customer service then its useless. I have had to pay for my own VMware course which is a product I use most days and they wonder why they cant keep staff. I know in this economic climate training budgets gets cut but when the bosses come round saying how many millions they have made profit in the previous quarter you start to evaluate why you're still working for them :x

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  3. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Its still early days for me ive only been in my current job for 4 months. But i beleive im in the right company where im going to get the chance to develop as they have just bought me a microsoft press book on Exchange 2010 then once ive got the jist of it theres talk of sending me on a course for it to really learn everything there is to know and get certified. My boss said his aim was for me to take charge of all AD and Exchange stuff. Hopefully this will also have an impact of my wages.

I think its all down to being lucky enough to be in a decent company that want to see there employees progress.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  4. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

I'd say yes some companies do still believe in the term career development, it really does depend on the co and the role you are in.

To some companies you are there to do a job, nothing more, nothing less.

To others you are a resource that can be developed to improve your value to the business.

5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I didn't have good experience with training from the companies I worked for either. I usually put in my time, learn on my own and move on. To be honest it doesn't bother me, its nothing personal and I look at it that way too. As long as I have a job working with the technology I like, that's more important then getting just the training alone. Some places will send you on training, but they'll never let you work with the technology because lack of experience. I am pretty good at what I do and I learn fast. This is also part of the reason why I built a home lab, for training purposes.

On the other hand, courses like VMware VCP 5 training is expensive and not everyone can afford so from that angle, it's kind of crappy that you'd have to pay. But at the end of the day if you work with the technology you like, that's experience you can't get from training.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

I love working with vSphere but we are currently still using version 4.1 and cant see it changing for a while :( Its only a small part of my job which is unfortunate as I don't enjoy the other part. The thing is that I could get paid a lot more for doing more of what I enjoy so it makes if difficult for me to stay in my current position. I will probably do the vcp and vcap before looking at my options.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  7. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

One of my bosses asked the other day for a list of courses I was interested in.

Sent back a list of about 6 thinking if I get 1 I'll be happy, she wrote back saying she's put them all in the plan for next year so will see what happens as could end up with a couple hopefully :)

8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I get asked too as to what courses I want to do... but the courses I want to do, they don't really want to pay and of course those courses are the most expensive ;)... for example, VCP and NetApp courses. I think they think I would mention Microsoft courses or something but I don't really need to take those as I tend to self study since there's lots of material out there.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  9. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

I'm sure there are companies who value their IT staff and encourage one improves their skill set through training courses etc. However, from my own experiences, then no, my employers couldn't care less; hell you are meant to know everything anyway :) I self study both at home and at work.

10. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

there is no such thing as career development in a company.

it is up to you to develop your career, if you are not growing do not beat a dead horse

just move onto another role which has alot of challenges.

11. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The organisation that I work for supports CPD and to be honest, I actually push CPD on my department.

This includes Microsoft certifications from MTA's to MCITP's, ocassionally NVQ's, and Framework for ICT Technical Support (FITS) level's 3 and 4 qualifications. Once in a blue moon there are other opportunities like Wireless, fibre optics, etc. We even became a Prometric testing centre, a Certiport testing centre and a ETA-i testing centre to support, not only external candidates, but internal ones too.

There are organisations and department managers out there that believe in developing their staff, after all if you invest in your staff, you should get better results out of them (when I first entered the IT field, my manager believed in that and it just carried on).

However not all organisations believe in it and/or some organisations can't afford it. Some organisations have either stopped or reduced the CPD for their staff as a result of either poor returns on investment of staff or staff leaving straight or soon after training.

It's also down to the individual to put a business case forward for certain CPD, especially ones that cost. After all it should benefit the organisation as well and not just the individual.

Nothing is just black and white in the working world :)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  12. Jammo1987

Jammo1987 Nibble Poster

My employer at present supports me to develop my career. They pretty much let me decide what certifications I want to do and will pay for the exams, books and if required the courses.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCTS (70-515), MCTS (70-516)
    WIP: MCTS (70-513)