Career change, kinda

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Muso, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Muso

Muso Bit Poster

Hi all,

I'm after some advice please. I'm currently working as an IT project managemer and have decided that it isn't for me anymore, I'm a more hands on kind of guy. Previously I've done, IT, software and telecoms support at a 2nd line level and would like to get back into this.

I've got a computing degree, Prince 2, agile, A+ and N+.

The A+ and N+ are quite out of date now so I'm thinking of getting some new qualifications to help me get back into things. My last support role was application support 3 years ago.

Can anyone offer some advice? I think ideally I'd like to get into 3rd line or network support eventually.

Thanks in advance

2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Sounds like you've got a fair bit under your belt already, how long ago was your last technical IT job? I'd start off renewing your A+ and N+ if they're out of date.

I don't think you'd be able to get straight in to a 3rd line role having been out of the game a while, but probably back in at 2nd line where you finished last and then work your way up to that 3rd level role.

When you say you've done IT, software and telecoms - can you expand? what sections of IT and Software, and were telecoms VOIP or traditional phone lines?

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  3. Muso

Muso Bit Poster

Hi thanks for the reply,

I'm not too keen on going through the A+, N+ again and thought maybe get a Microsoft cert and a Cisco cert instead? my last technical role was 2 years ago for software support and 3 years for 2nd line engineer support.

I've worked mostly in the NHS and public sector. Software support was mostly clinical system in the NHS, telecoms was VOIP and standard telephony systems and my IT support roles have been desktop support covering windows, office based issues, printer issues and bespoke software systems. I don't really have any VMware experience or a great deal of server experience. When I did help maintain servers it didn't feel too complex though.