Career Advice

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Fergal1982, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Hey guys, quick question for you lot. Im looking at getting into Security as a career option, but i have NO idea where to start. I currently have only the ITIL foundation certificate, and about 6 months servicedesk experience.

Someone mentioned doing the security+ as a starter, but i have no idea what would be the best route into this.

Any advice guys?

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

I take it you are already in the IT field? If yes, then i would say it would be a matter of waiting for the "slot" to become availible :)

Best of luck :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Security+ would seem like the ideal candidate to start with.

Vendor Neutral, and highly respected.

8)

4. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

it may be respected - but by whom and why ? Its very superficial and entry level, you certainly won't be an expert after doing it. That said, its easy enough to do and if you're new to the area, worth it for the introduction.
    It focuses mainly on acronyms and port numbers and other such facts, rather than any in depth stuff

Try this resource to start with..
    http://www.certiguide.com/secplus/index.htm

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi, saying that doing any certs won't make you an expert in any field, it's that combined with experience that puts you in the right direction.

Anyway another course you may be interested in is Ethical Hacking. No I'm not going to start a big debate on this one. It is rising in popularity and a good course for security (so I'm told). And as mentioned above, since you are already in IT your just waiting for that slot to side into.

As for Security+, in my point of view, is a foundation course, like A+ is for PC techs and N+ is for network techs. So why not go for it, after all it's a piece of paper that's say's you've done this/passed that. For the latest press release on Security+ click here

As for the best route into IT Security, bascially the same way you got into the general IT field, just modify that for Security. Study, apply for posts etc.

Hope this helps

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I do actually want to do the ethical hacking course. seen it before, it looks fantastic. But its hideously expensive, no way i can afford it at the moment

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

re ethical hacking - don't do it if you don't understand TCP/IP and by that I mean, can you dismember the constuent parts of an IP or TCP header - do you understand sequence numbers, IP and MAC addresses, precisely how ethernet and IP work in tandem etc etc.. 'cos if you don't you'll be wasting your time.

Ethical hacking courses are for experience techies. Security+ is a good place to start, all I'm saying is it's entry level. I'd do a CCNA as well, plus gain knowledge of Windows and Unix. Then get some experience and then look at an ethical hacking course. I'll tell you though - you'll enjoy it if you do one. Its fun crafting fake packets and cracking windows passwords!

8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

from what i have heard the EH course is rather pants, most hackers will tell you if you want to actually know security, and know it well, do the MSc at Royal Holloway (the one I've beein 'going' to do for yonks now lol)

sec+ is a good starting place, as is perhaps the MS security exams (espec if you already have an MCSE and you work with windows kit)

EH might be worthwhile at some point, but its penetration is somewhat small at the moment, and most the hackers i know say its not really that good (spose it depends whos running it)

also the CISSP is another industry neutral sec cert, but its higher up than the Sec+ as far as I am aware, and requires a bit of experiance to pass (someone correct me of im wrong)

bear in mind i havnt taken the EH course myself, but i do trust my friends to give me the heads up, besides, if all it is is a howto on hping it might not be worth the money anyway :P

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  9. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

i think you'll find that 'Ethical Hacking' is a category of course rather than a defined cert.

If the course is run properly by a qualified instructor, its *quite* illuminating.

I've seen things that in some ways I'd rather not have seen TBH on the course I sat in on - I'll never look at a windows sytem the same way again!

as regards CISSP, I believe you have to have X years security experience before you're even allowed sit the exam..

ought to be worth it though...

10. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

I don't live far from Ashford...

The most hacking fun I've had (outside IRC) has been hacking myself between 3 or 4 PCs, with mates.

hehe knowing networking and programming... now that's a thang.. (that I don't have)

I'd love to know networking and programming 'hackarounds'.

It's a dark art mate. GL!

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging