Career Advice please!

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by darrenwis, Feb 20, 2009.

1. darrenwis

darrenwis Bit Poster

Hi,

I hope everyone is well and don't mind me posting this.

I graduated from university in 2007 with a degree in BSc Business Information Systems. However, a few years on I find myself in a Customer Care job on 14.5k.

I am considering doing a MSc Strategic Information Systems with Information Assurance in September but in the mean time I was thinking of studying either:

(MCDST) Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician

(http://www.icslearn.co.uk/it-technic...utm_term=mcdst)

or

(ITIL) IT Infrastructure Library

(http://www.itgovernance.co.uk/products/1342)

I'm looking to find out which would be more beneficial and eye catching to prospective employers?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Darren

Certifications: BSc (hons)
    WIP: A+
  2. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Really depends on what you want to do doesn't it? The MCDST is designed for entry level roles such as helpdesk, 1st line support etc. ITIL v3 to me is a framework for the whole IT service lifecycle from design to continual service improvement within organisations both large and small.

Understanding ITIL and how it really touches upon every aspect in IT is good to know. Not sure whether that would get you in the door though on it's own. Perhaps others here can determine opportunities for you based on the degree you have but to be honest i have no experience myself of how that degree will help you get specific jobs.

Having an MCDST however is a certification that is more hands on. It provides knowledge of troubleshooting actual problems in a entry level IT role.

Not sure what you are actually aiming for in IT but if i were you and looking to start out in an IT support role all over again and had the benefit of hindsight, i would do what many here suggest. Take the A+ then N+ then the MCDST. Once you have those certs you will have a better grasp of what you want to do in IT.

If you want to walk into some IT company based on your degree and an ITIL qualification then i am probably not the best person to advise you of your chances of success. :p

If you want to get into IT at a support level and work your way up then the route i suggested is valid.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi,

IMO, the course fee is a bit expensive considering that you will have to buy 2 x MS exam vouchers on top of that. If you want to do the MCDST in a class environment I would advise checking out your local colleges first of all. Or you can self study of the MCDST with a good book like the one from Sybex or MS Press (I used the Sybex one) and practice exams from a good vendor (as well as the free online clinic from MS), etc...

For the ITIL, it's a good cert to have, it's not what I would class as technical, but a lot of companies are listing the ITIL foundations as a desirable as it's the framework that alot of companies are using to improve IT Services (in fact their whole company). I did this in a week, however if you attend a course it's only 3 days, but be warned it is very boring...

Which one to go for that will be more benefical? I would say do both, you have enough of a time frame to do them.

As for your Masters, what can I say... While I believe that the Masters will be benefical to you in the future when you get to mid-upper management. Will it guarantee you a job in IT, let alone an entry job, once you're finished? No, no qualification or cert can.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Just my thoughts but it might be easier to do the masters whilst you are young and without so many commitments. I would go for the ITIL.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  5. darrenwis

darrenwis Bit Poster

Its definately something to thing about in September, the MSc in Strategic Information Systems with Information Assurance looks good at the moment.

Do you think it is possible to get the A+, N+ and MCDST done by December if i done say an hour Mon-Fri and 2 hours Sat and Sun?

6. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

For def! Put it this way I was getting 70% on average in A+ tests without studying, its pretty str8 foward. If you have a degree already. you should be good. Obviously not stupid so A+ N+ and MCSDT should be pretty reasonable by Dec. Thats basically 5 exams I think in like 10 months.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  7. Taita

Taita Nibble Poster

OT but thank **** I didn't do Business Information Systems for a degree!

I had a place at Manchester to do that :D

Certifications: A+ N+ MCP
    WIP: MCSE
  8. darrenwis

darrenwis Bit Poster

I got a 2.1 and it was ok, but you didn't go down into each area deep enough as it gave you an overview of each section.