Career advice needed

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by sweetpea80, Aug 30, 2009.

1. sweetpea80

sweetpea80 New Member

Hi guys

Found this forum today. I am an IT support in my Company.
    I do Desktop support (XP, Vista), Office Internet support, Telephony support, a bit of Linux server administration. IT My skills are self taught and I am interested in scripting ( I can do a bit of bash scripting) and am looking into VBscript.

I am currently looking at MCSE (Windows Server MCITP) and CCNA.

I noticed there are some jobs listing stated that they want people with 2-3 years of with hands-on experience in the above certifications. If I am handling Desktop support with no access to Cisco routers or Windows Server 2003/2008, how do I let the employers that I have the technical knowledge (like I went for courses to gain technical experiences and got a cert for it) when it comes to applying for these openings?

Just curious :biggrin , this question has been bugging me for a while :blink

Thanks for reading! :biggrin

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi, why not introduce yourself here and be a part of this community :)

The thing is that the higher level professional certifications are there to reflect your job role and responsibilities and not there as a sub to experience.

Being straight forward, no IT manager (and that includes myself) will let someone loose on there systems/network infrastucture just because they have a cert. Theory knowledge and real practical knowledge/experience are two different things.

You state that you do desktop support and a bit of Linux administration, if that's the case then I would recommend doing the MCDST and start your MCSA, as well as looking into doing the A+, Network+ and the Limux+ from Comptia. They will reflect your job role and give you the basis needed to advance both in certs and in career.

-ken

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You don't. It won't do you much good to do so, because you don't have the experience. That's why Microsoft recommends 12 months of server administration experience (not 12 months in IT, but 12 months administering servers) before even STARTING the MCSE. And that's also why most people in the IT career field will recommend that you start administering routers before starting the CCNA.

If you want to take the next step into server administration, you should get server administration experience in your current position. Help out the server admins with light server administration. If they won't let you where you are, then it's time to make a lateral shift to another desktop admin job where you CAN. When you've built up about six months of experience administering servers in a multi-site, multi-server, domain environment, you should start pursuing your MCSA. THAT is how to move up the career ladder... one rung at a time. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. sweetpea80

sweetpea80 New Member

Hi guys

Thanks for the replies

Is there any difference if I do with a homelab (MSCE) and simulators (CCNA)? I read some job descriptions , they stated Windows Server knowledge / knowledge in Cisco routers an advantage. I assume they maybe taking in people with self learnt knowledge :)

Unfortunately, there's no Windows Servers nor Cisco routers currently in the Company. Maybe sometime soon in the future.

Erm, so if you have hands on in a home lab for Windows Server, does it count? Its like you built everything from scratch and learn to troubleshoot to make things work the way you want it :biggrin

Thanks for the advice! Will work towards A+ , Network + and Linux+ for a start.

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Unfortunately, no. Doesn't matter if you use simulators, administer a home network, or configure it up in a school lab... none of it is considered real-world experience. It's KNOWLEDGE, but it's not EXPERIENCE - there's a big difference between the two. If the job post requires knowledge, then that's fine... but if they say they're looking for someone with x number of months/years experience, then you wouldn't have that no matter how much you studied.

Then make a switch to a job where you can work with them. That'll be the only way to get the experience you desire.

No, it's not the same at all. Don't get me wrong, being able to configure things in a home lab is great for building knowledge... but you don't have real-world users and real-world data and real-world downtime to deal with in a home lab. When you finally do get out in the "real-world" of server administration, you'll see that it's a WHOLE lot different than messing around with servers at home or in a classroom lab environment where everything tends to work.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. sweetpea80

sweetpea80 New Member

Hi guys

I moved on to a new job a few months a go that has MCSE :D
    Guess a job change solves this.

Thanks for your advices ^_^