Career Advice - Developing those Business Skills

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by mattwest, Aug 8, 2006.

1. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Hey people.

I'm just after a bit of direction really. I'm 25 and been in IT full time for 7 years. I'm currently a 3rd Line Technician for a large District Council.

I enjoy the IT Techie's role but i'm looking forward in my career to a point where i might be either a Senior Engineer with a team beneath me or an IT Manager managing Techie's and projects. I've also considered project management as i'm quite organised and good at that kind of work.

Here is a quick run down of the qualifications i have at the moment:

A+, N+, Server+, Linux+, IT Project+, CCNA, MCSE 2003, CCA and CIW.

Also by next April i'll have these under my belt:

ITIL Foundation, Security+, CCDA and CWNA

Now those 4 may sound alot but i'm going on the courses later in the year and two of which have the exams at the end, so its not quite so bad.

I've also just completed a Level 2 Certificate in Team Leading last year at college as well as loads of internal courses such as assertivness, team working, conflict management etc etc.

I'm trying to decide what soft skills course i should do in the mean time, do i go back to college? Do i go with a distance learning provider or do i do nothing? Here are the options:

- Level 5 Dilpoma in Management (once a week at college for a year)

- Level 5 Dilpoma in Project Management (same as above)

- ASET Certificate in Business Finance (Home Study, at my own pace)

- Nothing!

I'm not sure if i fancy college for another year on top of the job and certs, but i wondered what people thought? I want IT management or project management skills but i'm also thinking for now some business finance knowledge would help plug a gap.

Any thoughts people? Any other options??

Thanks in advance!

Matt :D

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Matt,

Have you considered Network Management? Possibly is a school?

In a school environment you get exposed to a wide variety of challenges, from looking after the network, to planning and implementing new projects such as new Media Suites, Video Conferencing, or an overhaul of the network infrastructure, perhaps even a new MIS System.

There's also the people side, depending on the size of the school you could find yourself line managing anything from 1 to 7 people (I know of a school with 7 ICT techs), meaning you look after their day to day roles, carry out performance management, etc. Additionally you have the challenges of looking after teachers and creating reports for senior management / governors.

It may be more of a side step than an upwards one, but would expose you to a different aspect of IT and better prepare you to move higher up into further management.

It is my experience that experience at doing something is far more valuable than a course that says you can do something. :blink

8)

3. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Hey Simon,

I actually spent the first 3 and a half years of my career, from 18 to almost 22 working as the ICT Network Manager for a large school

1000 Kids, 200 computers, 3 buildings etc. To be honest i thouroughly enjoyed it and found it extremely rewarding. I also trained, yearly, teams of sixth form students who helped to fix day to day problems.

But for 13k per year it just wasn't feasable for me to stay. I'd love to get into a school again, with some staff underneath me but i'd need double the original pay, which to be honest is what i'm on now if you include me Saturday job as a doorman! You never know, myabe one day!

Its a sad story actually, i went to the head teacher and explained my situation and asked for a payrise, from 13k to 17k spread over two years to make it easier as i was getting some good certs at the time. He said no, so i left. I explained how much a replacmenet would cost to train, how much consultants fee's were etc etc but they didn't listen.

They employed two awful technicians after me, probably on 17k anyway, the main file server went down due to lack of investment and they ended up spening two years paying for external consulting at i can only imagine a staggering figure per day.

It makes me sad to be honest! I felt sorry for the kids. I even offered to help out for free and they said no. Huh!

Recently they have just advertised for a network manager at 22k and a technican for 14k
    Looking back i think i must be able to read the future :twisted: because everything i said came true. All this after we left on good terms!

As per my original post the two college courses would probably cost £1500 each whereas the certificate is only £200, so i'm leaning towards the certificate i think! :blink

4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Matt,

Would they not take you back as the network manager on an <increased> salary; they know you are good.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Hi Boyce,

Yeah i could have applied for the position when it was advertised, but now that i'm with the local council the training is fantastic - ITIL, CCDA, Security+ and IIS6 training all before Christmas this year, i'd be a fool to give that up at this stage of my career.

I think maybe in a year or two i'll be looking for a new job, but it looks like things like house prices will determine which sector i have to go and work for! :ohmy

But i'm sure one day i'll land my a job back in a school, only this time in charge of a department :twisted:

6. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

I suppose the question i'm asking is what will help me get into a management or project management position, even if it's a junior one?

I have Advanced and Intermediate GNVQ's in business, ITIL and a Team Leading certificate.

Diploma in Management?
    Diploma in Project Management?
    Certificate in Business Finanace?

I suppoose i'm concerned if i dont do something thats a year wasted or a qualification not achieved? If that makes sense?

7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

A lot people have got <in to management> by staying in one place and showing current mangement how useful you are to them.
    Good luck, Matt

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

I suppose its just how long i'm willing to stay in the same place onthe same money....... decisions decisions! :blink :D