Can't sleep flying soon....

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by twizzle, Sep 7, 2007.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

OK as part of my job i'm going to a show in Amsterdam today (Friday). I have to fly out there and i hate flying....

I've only flown a few times before and am getting nervous about it now. I fly out at 07:00 but am getting picked up at 04:00 by taxi to go to the airport for check in at 05:00.

Thing is i've been up since 06:00 Thursday and so far still havent slept. I did try to graba few hours earlier at around 22:30 but it was too hot in bed. Got the window open, light sheets on bed but the desk fan in the bedroom broke so i'm sweating like mad. And with the nerves i just can't sleep.

I plan to have a shower soon to help me keep awake, but its gonna be a long old day.

See once i'm out there i have to go straight to the show and stau there till the end at around 18:00 then the guys i'm with are planning to go for a few drinks, and well, it would just be impolite for me to refuse those. SO i porbably won't be hitting the bed until maybe 01:00 Saturday if i'm lucky. I am gonna be well sha***d by then.

And to top that i've been hitting th esake since 00:00 to help the nerves...

So if i survive i'll see you lot in a few days!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

lol red bull gives you wings!! a couple of cans once you past security and on the plane should do the trick! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

A couple of cans of that he won't need the airplane to fly....

The Caffeine Database

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I'm hyper enough so dont need any extra caffine!!

Hoping the Saké will help calm me nerves.

I am flying with 2 others from work who fly regular, though one has just gotten over his fear of flying! Been told i'm not allowed to make jokes about plane crashes.

Thing is its been 20 hours since i last slept and i don't even feel tired, but its gonna be another 20 till i get a chance to go to bed i think......Will be a walking zombie!

5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

freddy we trying to put him to sleep or keep him awake till sunday morning?? :D

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I used to love flying. I'm "ok" with it again, but a couple of Christmases ago, I had to fly to a fairly small town in Virginia to finish a video tutorial project I was doing.

First off, I was randomly selected to go through a complete security check including a personal search and then, what I thought was carry on luggage was too large and I was advised to drop it at the end of the skyway right before boarding my flight.

Long story short, I had an anxiety attack that lasted over 12 hours. Rapid pulse rate and I'm sure my blood pressure was through the roof.

I tried everything I could to calm or distract myself but nothing worked. There were several times that I almost hit the panic button and asked for medical assistance because I didn't know what was happening to me.

I managed to white knuckle it through and made it to my destination. I eventually calmed down but it really shot the whole flying thing for me.

What's worst, I had an anxiety attack on the way back, too.

My doctor put me on Zoloft (an antidepressant) and I took that for awhile, but eventually, I decided I couldn't live on pills for the rest of my life. I haven't had an attack sense although I do still get anxious at times.

I've flown since then and it's been ok. My most recent trip was to Seatac Airport (Seattle/Tacoma) and the trip both ways was fine. I love the rush of take off and especially around the Seattle area, there are some great views from the air. It's also a great place to read because there's nothing to do while you are in the air.

Sorry to go on, but flying can be both anxiety provoking and fun. I've tried to make it fun again. Safe journey.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Well i'm back. Survived 2 flights (there and back). Wasn't so back, very little turbulance and quite smooth take off.

Only problem was the loooooong wlak at Schipol airport (Amsterdam) Took about 40mins to get thru customs / bagage claim an another 15 to walk to the train. Also got patted down!

Could do a short haul again if it was always that smooth, but not so sure on the long haul. And sorry no exciting of funny things to report about the experience (I know, what a let down)

8. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

At least you got patted down for free. :biggrin

I'm told you can spend good money for that sort of thing in the 'Dam. :blink

J.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  9. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

:hhhmmm

:lolbang

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Next time you fly have a couple of beers after you check in, that will calm your nerves. Even if it a morning flight you can still have a quick beer, that’s what I do but I’m Scottish so I can get away with it! :slidedrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Mental !!! Will see if I can get away with that when I fly out to Belfast at the end of the month :biggrin

I was there last month too, but didn't think the boss would approve :dry

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity