Cant see computers in network places

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by klospros, Nov 21, 2007.

1. klospros

klospros Nibble Poster

HI, I am setting up a home network between my PC and G/F's laptop, I have run the set up a home or small office network wizard about 4-5 times and still no joy(:. I have configured both firewalls to accept connections from both computers by putting there IP addresses in the trusted zone. They can both ping each other with no dropped packets. I have looked around the forum for answers and have tried some of the suggestions. From my PC i can connect to laptop through the run command using IP address (\\192.168.1.__), but from G/F's laptop it keeps asking me for a password to connect to my PC but there is no password on my PC!!!
    On my PC in network places I can only see my PC and my shares. On G/F's laptop it dont see any comp's or even her shares and displays a message about network not accessible:(. Please help as this is driving me mad....

Certifications: A+ 2006, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Have you tried 'administrator' with a blank password? Also what OS is your PC running.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. klospros

klospros Nibble Poster

Hi Sparky, both PC and laptop are running xp pro, also when it brings up box from run command user name is greyed out. It says Chris/guest, I can only enter a password

4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Try creating a password for the account without one and re-boot.

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If there is no password have you tried pressing enter and see if that works?

Also you might have to be logged on as Administrator on both PCs for it to work.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Sparky

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  7. klospros

klospros Nibble Poster

Have just disabled simple file sharing and can now enter user name and password, im going to set password on PC and will let you know how I get on

8. klospros

klospros Nibble Poster

Success:)I did what both sparky and boyce said and i now have full access to both pc and laptop:)
    thankyou all:)

9. Sparky

Cool, if you create a local admin account with a password that should get you full access to the shares. 8)

10. Sparky

Cool, glad everything is sorted :biggrin