cant find the job im looking for?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Oxyfire, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Oxyfire

Oxyfire New Member

Hello

Im booked in for my A+ exam at the end of the month and the plan after that is to jump right into the network+. After reading lots of posts on the forum ive decided that ill also start looking for jobs as numerous people have said you can get lucky and land your first job with just the a+.

however after searching for what seems like weeks and weeks all i ever seem to be able to find are first line support call centre type jobs. I really dont want to do this type of work as i cant think of anything worse than being stuck on a phone all day reading from a script.

I would prefer working in a office/university or collage and helping people actually in the same building as me and rolling out new hardware/software. I just cant seem to find jobs like this though whenever i do a search all i get is 1st line support telephone jobs.

Now am i asking to much for a job like this? or do i have to enter a particular phrase to get results up like this?

WIP: A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Try IT Technician or entry level jobs or trainee IT technician.

Remember that we are still in a reccession so getting any job at the minute is a stroke of luck never mind a particular area.

You don't even have to have the A+ to get a job but it can help. And by the way there are two A+ exams not one.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Some time on the helldesk (thats not a typo :p) is well worth it for any aspiring IT professional, you'll learn plenty and if your with an even remotely decent company you won't be there long if you show aptitude and a willingness to learn.

Many organisations are unwilling to hand unexperienced techs deskside jobs because of the extra pressure that comes with the job (particularly when you run into a problem that you can't/don't fix first time).

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  4. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Not being funny but beggars cant be choosers, no offence, I know exactly what you mean with the stuck on a phone line part, but people in IT do use phones quite a bit, there is nothing wrong with this line of work, you will get training, you will gain troubleshooting experience, and you will look better CV wise.

If I were hiring and 2 people had the same level of expertise but one had call centre work while the other didnt (and he revealed he refused to do this type of work in the interview), then I would go for the Call Centre person every time for 3 reasons

1. Customer service experience, dealing with people is key
    2. Live experience, there is nothing that improves peoples all round skills than actually doing a job
    3. Willingness, to me someone who desperately wants to work in IT will sacrifice a few months of their life doing something that will improve their prospects in the long run

Although I can sympathise with your plight, I think you are'nt doing yourself any favours, I would probably at least give it a go for a week.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
    Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Personally, I think it should be an outright requirement for anyone wanting to work in IT. Yes its hellish, yes it can be dull (although that depends on the level of technical capability required on the job - ours for instance has a 90% target frontline fix rate). What it does, however, is give you an experience from the floor. You experience just what it is to receive the abuse from angry customers phoning you - and I promise you that they arent that angry when you get back to them later. It gives you a better understanding of what frontline actually is, and what they have to put up with.

Its also close to the best job for someone with no experience in IT. You aren't proven, you have no track record. Frontline is the area most likely to employ people with no qualifications and no experience. All others are liable to want either of those.

I agree with Kev, if you refuse to do this type of work. Are you going to refuse when the helpdesk is short staffed, and your boss tells you to help out? People with the "can-do" attitude go further. Make it known that you can do whatever needs to be done, and you will be noticed.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

It’s not all script based, in many cases you can take control of a user’s PC and fix\troubleshoot a problem. This is a great way to start out in IT support and get some proper experience.

As for ‘rolling out software’ as you have mentioned could you actually do this for a uni\college? Larger networks use images to roll out PCs and software is rolled out from central locations by a GPO or SMS. I doubt you could do that yet as you are just starting out.

I agree with Fergal, working in 1st line should be mandatory when starting out in IT! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I agree with all said above and all I would like to add that those scripts you're trying to avoid were actually written by someone with knowledge on the topic (or supported infrastructure) and are proven to fix certain issues.

There's helluva lot you could learn from that, no?

WIP: Uhmm... not sure