Cant delete folders after partition magic

Discussion in 'Software' started by fig_jam_uk, Nov 15, 2005.

1. fig_jam_uk

fig_jam_uk Bit Poster

Hi guys the subject pretty much sais the problem but ill go more into what was done. Right i had a 250Gb drive that was partitioned into 5 separate partitions, the problem is i have used partition magic to merge all the partitions into 1 as looking for stuff was a nightmare, the problem is that the folders created by partition magic cant be accessed or deleted and im now stuck with a few folders i cant access nor need. can n e 1 help?

cheers in advance :rolleyes:

Certifications: MCP win2k PRO
    WIP: ?
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Folders created by Partition Magic?

I'm not sure what you mean. Did you perform a backup of your data from the drives that you were going to delete, then delete the drives using Partition Magic, extend the single partition that you wanted and restore the files?

That's the way I would have done it.

8)

3. fig_jam_uk

fig_jam_uk Bit Poster

Hi Simon yes i backed up the data and then merged the partitions into the one, partition magic actuall created the folders for the contents on the partitions, they appear empty but cant be removed.

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Ahh, I see!

I think that the problem may be that you merged the partitions rather than delete them 1st.

Did you create a single partiion for both the system and the data, or do you still have a seperate system partition?

If you have just a single partition then I'm not sure what to suggest other than taking ownership of the folders and re-applying permissions?

If you have the seperate system and data partition then I'd format the data partition, and restore from your backup.

8)

5. fig_jam_uk

fig_jam_uk Bit Poster

Hi the system partition is on another drive, so how do i take ownership of the files?

cheers

6. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

If your on Windows XP -

- Right click on the required folder and select properties.
    - Click on the security tab.

Neall

WIP: A+