Can't connect to office via Broadband

Discussion in 'Networks' started by doodlebug, Mar 21, 2006.

1. doodlebug

doodlebug Bit Poster

Hi All, I work from home but I'm having problems connecting to the server in the office. If I use a dial up connection, I can pick up emails, sync Outlook, look at folders on the network etc with no problem apart from the obvious speed issue.

However, when I try to connect with broadband, it all goes pear shaped. I've tried it with 2 different ISP's (BT & Wanadoo), for BT I use my own Linksys wireless router, and for Wanadoo I used their Livebox modem / router. I seem to be able to make a connection to the office, but then can't look at the network or get email etc. We have an external company who alledgedly look after our IT, but the guy I spoek to couldn't really help. He seemed to think that there was a problem with with the IP address (or subnet mask ?) of my router at home, clashing with addresses on the network in the office. He couldn't offer any solution, and wasn't sure that this was the problem.

Anybody any ideas if this could be the problem and or a possible solution. Sorry if the technical info is a bit vague

WIP: A+, CCNA
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

tried your firewall settings and port forward setting on ur router?

what os' are you using?

3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

It could well be an IP issue. You need to check the system at work to see if it restricts access to given IP ranges. If so you need to add the IP range for your broadband to that list.

You don't give much in the way of details as to how this connection is done when on dialup - i.e. tunnel over SSH, IPSec, or no special transport, so it is hard to suggest anything else.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. doodlebug

doodlebug Bit Poster

Unfortunately I don't know much about the way things are set uo and the IT guy won't tell me much. I use "Zywall VPN Client" to connect and XP if that helps

WIP: A+, CCNA
  5. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

From the information supplied I take it when you use Dialup you are phoneing a number dor the RAS server, if this is the case then the RAS server will issue you with an IP address within the range of the corporate network. However when you use Broadband you IP address is assigned by your ISP thus stopping you from connecting to your corporate network, If your office uses a VPN connection for remote access then you will probably need to use some VPN client software to allow you to connect.

Hope this helps

EDIT: Must have been typing this when you mentioned the VPN client. I would suggest that you check you VPN client settings and ask the IT guys at your office to check the VPN server, I would have thought that they would be able to view a log of connections aswell as failed connections, in the past when I have viewed such logs it has given a reason why the connection failed.

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  6. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Sounds like you need to setup a networking device based VPN from your broadband router to the network at work. Find out from your company's network engineer/administrator if it is possible.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  7. v_odd

v_odd Bit Poster

when you connect using dial up do you use the vpn after you have connected? when using the broadband can you see any internet page after you have connected if you cannot your vpn will not be able to connect either.

Certifications: NVQ Lvl 2 & 3 In Computing
    WIP: A+, MCDST
  8. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Setup a VPN connection using windows networking get the IP address of your works VPN server that you need to connect to and put that in as the connect to address

on your router there will be an IP address from your ISP give this to your work IT Dept so that they can add it to there allowed list on the firewall and that should be it

this is the problem that i had when first using my adsl from home to connect to work

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100