Can't access USB drive

Discussion in 'Software' started by Boycie, Aug 14, 2006.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

If you can't access the default admin share on the box I'd suggest its probably something to do with removing the 'run' entry from the start menu. Check and see if that policy is in place - the reg key that controls it is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer (for all users), or
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    (for the user currently logged on)

If its configured, there'll be a DWORD entry in there for 'NoRun' and it'll be set to '1'. Set this to '0', then bounce the box & see if that helps

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Zeb,

That policy is definately in place, because you cannot access Run, CMD or control panel when logged in to the domain.
    I will disable this from with AD and report back tommorow.
    Thanks for your help.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Sounds like a plan, move the computer into is own OU (as a test) and log onto the domain as domain administrator. Keep us posted! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

That is the bizarre thing about that network. Even using the account of the person who set-up and ran the network for while you still can't do things (which i am led to believe) you should be able to do.

For example, you could log on to the domain (at a workstation) as <the network manager>, yet still cannot <do> simple things.
    Although we are about to tear it all down soon, we still need to get data of the existing network... just haven't worked out how....:blink

Si

5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Are you sure the account you're using is a domain admin account? There has to be an account somewhere that still has domain admin privileges, which should override whatever settings have been applied to other OUs. If not, then you are in a potential world of hurt - and should immediately seek out the previous admin and introduce his knees to a club hammer.

Have you enumerated the SID of the 'network admin' account (or whatever he has renamed it to in a no-doubt misguided attempt to 'hide' it)? It will end in '500' - if it ends in something other than this then it isn't the automatically created domain admin account.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Will confirm tommorow, but the 500 bit rings a bell. The user is a member of everything.

Si

7. Sparky

Are all users locked down in the same way when they log onto the domain? I’m just wondering if the default domain policy has been changed. :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Funny you should mention that Spark, because browsing through the MS guide on Group Policy it states not to mess with the default policy. :dry

I will check tommorow (along with user 500) and report back.

Thanks for all yours (and everyone elses) help on the matter.

Si

9. Sparky

That is VERY true, bet you can’t wait to move over to the new network.

The guy who installed the original network could have at least documented what he had done! :x

10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

no, we have nothing! Apparently, he was very clever, but always seemed to go about everything the hard way and certain things would only work for him!
    Looking forward to working with the network team who are going to build us a brand new one from scratch. :biggrin

11. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Did you manage to get this sorted?

Nelix

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  12. Boycie
    Honorary Member

I haven't, but will report back on Monday...

Si

13. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

If it's really this critical, couldn't you remove the HDD from the desktop and either chain it in alongside the system drive in another PC, or drop it into a USB HDD caddy (like the one I bought for <£20 last year :biggrin ) then attach it directly to the laptop, and extract the .pst files that way ?

Man, I love using sledgehammers to crack nuts (oo-er) :tongue

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  14. Boycie
    Honorary Member

might end up doing that on a few of the machines Gav before the tear down. Did you buy the <blue box> from Maplin for £20 that has a IDE plug on one end and USB plug on the other?

Si

15. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Mine came from Priceless Computing and is a blue/grey case you drop the HDD into. Has internal IDE connector and external USB 2.0 connector. Works a treat. Checked the site, and it seems they don't have it right now, so if you can get similar from Maplin, or elsewhere, then get it. £20 seems a good price.

Great tool for various jobs, plus good source of storage as well :)

16. Boycie
    Honorary Member

thanks Gav. Can't seem to find the converter in Maplin now....

17. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Mail me the HDD - I'll do it for you for £1,000,000,000,000 pounds :biggrin

18. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Bargain! :biggrin