Canon vs Nikon

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Raffaz, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Ha ha, have ya had a look at a Canon lately?

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  2. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Sounds interesting. What sort of stuff do folks hide? Had a look on the site, there is one at my local train station, may go and see if I can find it.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  3. Raffaz

There are different types of cache. There are nano and micro caches which are tiny containers about 5ml, all they contain is a log to sign these tend to be in urban areas because they are easier to hide. Then theres the other end of the scale where people use old ammo tins and put goodies in them, these tend to be in woods were they wont get found easily.

People also hide travelbugs and geocoins, these are trackable items and the idea is to give them a mission and then move them on for the person who placed it to help them complete their mission.

4. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

This is much like Dartmoor letterboxing, although when I used to do that with my dad years ago it was before GPS was available. We used to have a book of clues, compass bearings and number of paces from a particular point, wandering about in the middle of the moors. Ammo tins were the usual container, each 'letterbox' contained a rubber stamp with a picture or something on it so you could collect stamp imprints and sign a visitors book. Do you take a photo or something of the caches you find?

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  5. Raffaz

When you find a cache you sign the log inside it and then register your find at geocaching website. Most caches tend to be at places of interest so i take photos of the area but not of the actual cache site or that would give it away for other users.

6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Don't worry mate I know they make very good camera's, I'm only teasing. It's an age old emnity Nikon vs Canon. :)

Once you have invested in some good lenses though you will tend to stick with that brand for life. As I mentioned before you can spend far more on quality glass than you can on camera bodies.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  7. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

oo the Canon vs Nikon nearly as good as the PC Vs Mac .)

I would got for the D80 out of the two you get more for your money plus you can grow with a D80. D40 PFF

the D90 is out soon [rumour]. My mate got a 450D it felt to light and a bit plastic to me.

8. Raffaz

I had a feel of them yesterday and prefered the canon because its lighter and felt more comfortable to me and its got a bigger screen.

9. JoshC

JoshC Bit Poster

I've had the 350D now for a couple of years, cost me about £500 or so, and since then I've mostly taken pictures at zoo's, mostly been using a sigma 18-200 OS lens which set me back about £340, just over a year ago

I can't fault it, I just would love to use it more

10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Nikon.

No,

Canon.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  11. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

*sigh* :p

My vote goes for Canon.

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Wait a moment,

Nikon.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  13. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Personally I've got the Nikon D80 - an excellent camera, and my decision was made by the canon being too light and felt too plasticy and hollow.

As for live-view - its pretty useless to use as a general rule, why? Because it won't give you an obvious feel for what is exact focal point and what isn't, also it won't really give you a feel for depth of field either.

Also, most people how their cameras at arms length for photos (which always makes me laugh as it looks stupid, but I digress!), try doing that with a camera that weighs 400g without a lens, and nearer 1kg when it has one! If you like the concept, great, but really don't pay over the odds for one with it because as your photographic technique improves you'll probably use it less and less.

Lens - I've had my D80 for about a year now, ran off nearly 5000 snaps and love using it - but I only have the kit lens (18-70mm over 1.5x multiplier). I've used it for portraits, landscapes, wildlife, flowers, action and whilst I've got my eye on a 70-200mm f2.8 lens costing around £1100, and a fast 50mm f1.8 for £270, I have resisted against buying it by making sure I find my true desire and not go and buy whatever I think I'll use - 5000 snaps, I'm only closer to saying I really enjoy macro photography, and may consider buying a lens for about £500. My story moral - don't buy one until you really know what you like taking with your new equipment (and yes, it can change from using compacts etc.) and then make a judgement on Sigma, Tamron, own-brand etc.

Aside: as an aside, maybe we need a CF photography outing just as much as a standard GTG????

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  14. Raffaz

Did ya find that cache then :)

15. fowler002

fowler002 New Member

Canon are currently doing £50 off the 450D & £60 off the 40D if you buy them between 21st August - 21st September.

Certifications: P.G Dip(Chemistry), BSc Chemistry
    WIP: CompTIA A+
  16. Raffaz

Yeah, i know, cheers anyway mate.

17. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Wait,

Canon.

I think.

18. fowler002

fowler002 New Member

had a feeling but thought I'd let you know incase you didn't, which camera have you decided on in the end(all you've said is its going to be a Canon)?

don't know if you've heared/read but the 50D(15.1MP) is due out soon, it's looking like £1199 for the body tho should go down shortly after release.

nugget I noticed in your sig that you've got your CPU down as a QX9450, I'm no expert but I haven't come across anywhere that sells them :) think you mean Q9450 :)

Certifications: P.G Dip(Chemistry), BSc Chemistry
    WIP: CompTIA A+
  19. Raffaz

I went for the canon 450D mate. I ordered it the other night from warehouse express and it was here when ive came back from work tonight. Another toy to play with :)