Cannot play movies.....??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by elli5on, Jan 31, 2006.

1. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Hi all, ive recently downloaded a film, tried to play it using windows media player... there is sound, but no image! I have a feeling it may be that i need to download a decoder(as hard drive has recently been formatted).

Any suggestions as to where i can download a free one??

Craig

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  2. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm

though if i were you i'd download vlc media player, it's the best

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Rather depends on what format the film was in. For example, XP does not ship with a MPEG2 decoder - usual fix is to get a cheap copy of PowerDVD or WinDVD and then Media Player can magicaly play them.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

just download as many codecs as possible...the more the merrier if u ask me...I have AVI and MPEG movie files and some of the AVIs have AC3 audio so I needed an AC3 filter and decompressor in order to have the sounds working...video is no problem...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Rather than download codec packs - some of which have contained viruses in the past - you might want to investigate codec checkers which can try and identify codecs used in AVI files.

One such that I have used for ages is Gspot . However it doesn't seem to have been updated in some time, so there may well be better ones about.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. law123

law123 Byte Poster

The fist thing to check is what format it is in. I had a person just last week that had a bin file that he was trying to play. In the end up I burned it to disk with Nero and it played fine. If not try this site http://www.dvdhelp.us/ this should have the answer you are looking for I have used this several times myself over the years.

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  7. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Another option would be to download VLC Player.

Website Here

The big thing about this is that you don't need to download codecs, and it seems to play everything, even Mp4's.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Yep VLC media player can play everything with no need of codecs...but if your looking to convert the clips then you will need codecs for sure...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  9. binbox

binbox Nibble Poster

Be careful downloading too many codec's, like Harry said check out the file with gspot or sherlock before hand.
    Too many codecs are bad news they can conflict with any number of different programmes, especially when it comes to encoding software (Never mind trying to identify and remove the offending .dll from the 100+ you installed). .

WIP: A+ N+ SECURITY+ SERVER+