CANCELLING SKILLSTRAIN

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by hoss, Jul 6, 2006.

1. hoss

hoss Bit Poster

Has any-one tried to cancel their contract with skillstrain? the reason i ask is im not impressed with their course im doing on the A+ as i have the mick myers book and skillstrain only seem to go into depth by about 3 pages of the mm book and i would rather cut my loses now than spend more money doing the N+ and CCNA with tthem i know i signed a contract but they can be brokern if you can prove they have not trained and fullfild their part,would be glad to if any one has found the same problem to. :rolleyes:

Certifications: c & g in refrigeration
    WIP: A+,N+,CCNN
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

how long have you been with them for?

3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

How many of the folders have you done?

If you're only on Section A, you've got 3 more of those to go. If you're past that section, I would suggest you are well past the point where Skillstrain will let you cancel, and you would need to involve a solicitor and prove that the providers aren't giving you what is stated in the contract.

I'm with Skillstrain, and will be sitting my A+ soon; I have been quite happy with the course; what are your actual concerns with it?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. hoss

hoss Bit Poster

i am about to start part D my concern is when i phoned the tutor line and asked why i could not find how to make/run an ERD on XP HOME the totur had to call me back because he did not know the answer,the answer being that it is only available on XP PRO and WINDOWS NT,this makes me wonder just how good the course is. I have been with them since jan this year.

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Nobody can answer every conceivable question off the top of their heads, except d-Faktor. The main point here is that he didn't waffle and give you mis-information, he got back to you I presume with the official answer.

For what it's worth, not many IT pros use XP Home and so may not be 100% conversant with it's idiosyncrasies :wink:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I thought the focus of the A+ was also on XP Pro - Home Edition certainly isn't mentioned in detail in the MM All in One. Not that I saw, anyway :oops:

EDIT: but to clarify on your earlier question, I don't think you could cancel the course at this point without involving solicitors, and that would be entirely costly considering Skillstrain are a multimillion pound company, and have encountered cases like this before.

All Skillstrain have to do is prove that they have done enough for you to pass the A+; I went through their course with the CompTIA objectives with a fine toothcomb. I lot of points come across as blase comments, but they are there. The course fulfils the objectives of the A+, therefore they have delivered their training promise. I did not do the practical training.

You can try, but it might be cheaper to stay with them, given costing that is likely to be involved. It is just that their course does not go into the depth of MM. That's why he's the uber geek, and lots of people bad-mouth Skillstrain.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  7. hoss

hoss Bit Poster

Thanks for the support and advice guys guss i was just not sure what to do after that experiance so will carry on :oops: but thanks again for putting me back on the rails. :D

8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

As with any training provider, they will provide the minimum needed for you to pass the exam if you put some effort into it. That said, it's up to you how much you put in. If you really want to learn about A+ for example then you need to read/find more than just what is in the course materials. Doing this will also fill in the gaps and increase your knowledge of the subject.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

In fairness that isn’t the easiest question to answer ‘just like that’, it’s fairly common that some problems need time to be resolved; it’s the same in IT support. Some problems can be resolved over the phone, some take days and some take weeks (that’s when your googling like crazy trying to find the answer!)

Id cut them some slack on this one.... 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

I found the Skillstrain course for the A+ satisfactory overall, certainly enough info to pass the exam. Only 1 or 2 occasions where I had to do some additional reading to clear things up but I've been messing around with PC's for a long time and also got the MM all in one for additional reading.

Doing the N+ with them now and finding this a lot more challenging, in a good way! I admit my networking experience upto this point has only been a few home machines but I'd much rather be challenged than spoonfed knowledge.

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA