can your car insurance company prove you're not gay ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by grim, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Sorry, Grim, it came out wrong. I should have possibly put a smiley after it - I was being mainly sarcastic (a terrible trait of mine). Wasn't accusing you of being cheap :oops: I don't even have a car - I leech use of my boyfriend's - so I'm definitely a cheapskate.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The thing is with insurance, people who are considered a high risk should not be allowed to drive powerful cars, they also should not be allowed to mod their cars as some do.

Some of you may or may not know, the engine of a car is much like a cpu when it comes to cooling, the cooler a engine is and less heat inside the engine bay the faster the car can go.

You'll see a boy racer in his corsa or vauxhaull with a big exhaust expelling lots of air. These boy racers dont tell their insurance co as it would put up the cost. A corsa with 95 bhp adding a boar exhaust to it can give it up to an extra 15-20bhp a bit like overclocking your comp.

Its in-appropriate driving which kills and all age groups do it, its just that the majority are in experienced drivers like 17 years olds who have just passed.

Anyone under the age of 25 should not be able to drive a car over 1.2 litre in my opinion.

There were a group of kids killed a while back in the area I live in, there was a coroners verdict saying the lad driving must have been a boy racer, his parents said No he wasnt.

But were the parents went wrong is they bought him a car (honda civic type R) which has 197bhp and can get to 60mph in 6 seconds and he was only 17. I'm sorry for their loss but yes he was a boy racer if he was driving a car like that.

Sorry for the rant but boy racers and insurance companies do my head in, and especially messages that say speed kills.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I agree that younger (and inexperienced) drivers should be restricted in what they can drive early on. The problem is people can get into just as much trouble in a car with a 1.2 engine as they could in bigger and faster car.

There was a similar discussion going on over at an owners club forum I was on and there is a copper who regularly posts there who said a majority of accidents now involve small cars. I guess that could be down to the fact they are so popular now though. I'd be interested to know if they are in accidents more when compared proportionally to other classes of cars.

I think there does need to be a law to stop access to cars like that at such a young age as it's definitely a recipe for disaster. What can you do when his parents have clearly more money than sense though? It must have cost an absolute bomb to insure something that powerful at his age, probably more than the cost of the car.

Are you saying speed doesn't kill then? It's a generalisation sure, but you are far more likely to have a fatal accident if your car was traveling at 80mph than say at 40mph. I think a big problem is people aren't able to realise they are driving too quickly for the conditions of the road. I drive faster than the speed limit, only on national speed limit dual carriageways and motorways though. I am experienced enough to realise what is safe speed for the car I am in and also the road conditions though. I also make sure I have an appropriate stopping distance to the car in front of me. So yes, as an automatic assumption the statement 'speed kills' is not totally accurate, but it's still a good point, if that makes sense.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

a corsa has between 50 and 90bhp (1.0-1.4L) and modifying it with an exhaust and induction kit gives them about 5bhp increased but thats all lost with those huge body kits they use.

looking at getting an FTO GPX for the next car :)

[​IMG]

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  5. greenbrucelee

Yes speed can kill but what I am saying is its innapropriate driving which kills which can include speed.

The other day I was driving home on my local road which is 60mph limit I was doing about 57 about 200 yards in front of me an old woman pulled out but she wasnt accelerating very much, I had to start braking just so I didnt hit her.

That was innaproprrate driving on her part.

An experienced driver will know not to drive fast in wet or slippery conditions and will also know that just because its perfect conditions not to be hesitant.

6. greenbrucelee

Nice car :D

I have BMW 318i (1.9 litre) and would never go back to driving a front wheel drive car again due to better cornering capabilities although they are harder to drive in snow etc.

7. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

I hold utter contempt for car insurance and the fatcats who run the companies

They will rip you off at any given time, the minute you make any changes to your policy. This is probably exactly what they are doing to you Grim, just becuse there is a window of opportunity to do so.

My case, I moved house last year, so gave them all the new address details, which included my car being parked in the street, all of which led to a slight increase in my premium. Fair enough, I could live with that. After a while, I had access to a residential, covered carport for overnight parking. I rang them and told them that, and they said that it would not affect my premium at all, again, fair enough.

A few months later, the owner of the car port needed it back, so back out into the street for me old beauty. Rang the firm to tell them that my car was going back out into the street, and they tried to add another £50 to my policy!!!!! :x

Needless to say, I wasn't best pleased, and argued with them to scrap that, which they eventually did, but they acted like they were doing me a favour

So in a nutshell, me moving my car from street to secure car port did nothing, but mving it back from secure car port to street incurred a penalty

W@nkers, the lot of them

What is also totally random is quotes from different companies. I drive a Rover 414 series, which whilst it isn't the greatest car in the world by far, is fairly powerful and not a bad looker, quotes were ranging from 600 jib to 1500 sheets, one firm even saying they charged that amount as they simply didn't like my car. Great customer service eh?

Sorry, rant over, but by jingo I needed that!

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  8. greenbrucelee

600 - 1500 for a rover 414 thats nuts, my insurance for my BMW 318i is only just ober 325 although I have 8 years no claims.

Cockles ring round a do it over the net I am sure you can get it cheaper elswhere although I dont know your accident history etc but that sounds too much too me.

9. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Hah, glad you agree chap

I've held a licence for 10 years, I'm 27 now, but I have only been a full policy holder for about 3. I only have 2 years no claims, I lost one year following an unfortunate incident with - of all things - a BMW. 600 I can live with, but to go up as high as 1500, I just couldn't believe it. It's more like a family car, so I'm not exactly going to be tearing around narrow roads in it (I couldn't even if I tried).

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  10. greenbrucelee

Thats why then cos you've only been on full policy for 3 years.

I should actually have 10 years no claims but my first insurance company was a small firm and went bust and lost most of my data so they could only provide me with 2 years no claims.

I am now with esure and got the guy on the phone to put me through as an online customer so I got 10% off which was good.:D

I just wish I had the money for a newer BMW cos they keep asking me to place an order for the new M3 I emailed them to say if you pay the insurance and petrol then yes, because theres no way I can afford insurance on a 414bhp car and 20mpg when I do 38 miles every day.

11. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I got stiffed by insurance.
    I had a bump a while ago - it was at lights so we were hardly moving.
    The damage was a scratch and a broken light.

But the little sh1t claimed for loss of earnings due to having time off with whiplash which turned a few hundred quids worth of repairs into a king's ransom.

Unfortunately, although he was just a kid driving an old fiesta he was clearly employed by NASA on a 6 figure salary and the accident may have delayed the launch of the space shuttle - at least, that's the impression I got when I saw his claim.

Oh, and he had an unusually brittle neck which could sustain injury at 2mph.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  12. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

there was a new M3 on show in bluewater at the weekend. they've up the engine to 4.0L V8 @ 420bhp and it looked well lush even with a 60k price tag :)

i argued with my insurance company when i renewed it last month and they knocked £120 off to keep me :)

MW

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
  13. greenbrucelee

Yep always argue with insurance companies if they want your money they'll reduce costs.

As regards to the M3 I have driven the last version with 343bhp that was quick and have driven an m6 with 500odd bhp which was scary.

The crazy thing about the m6 is that it has 410bhp and if you press the sports button it gives you an extra 110bhp which almost a mini put in your car :D

14. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Fake whiplash injuries are currently one of the biggest scams the insurance industry is facing. I'm suprised your insurer fell for it.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  15. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

my mates neighbour has a maclaren mercedes but only got to sit in it :(

when my car was in the garage due to the tesco petrol i was given an an 2006 astra 1.8 16V SRI which had a sports button. the car is 123bhp (13bhp more than my 1.6 307) and i was really excited as to what it did (espically as the M5 sports button takes it from 400 to 500bhp). so i pushed it and nothing, turns out all it did was stiffen the suspension. so my opinions of the car was it was nippier than the 307 but drank fuel seriously badly not worth the extra 13bhp and the seats were hard and the gear box was stiff :(

grim