Can you trust community offcers?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by UCHEEKYMONKEY, Sep 21, 2007.

1. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Strong words, but true! (IMHO)8)

They did complain, however the CPSO did not attend the hearing and the police force have backed them up stating they did what they were told!:blink

Unlike the two fisherman who dived into the water to rescue the girl (sister) without any concern of their own health and safety.

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  2. warrmr

warrmr Byte Poster

Personally if i was in any kind of situation to help i would regardless of job title description and or insurance.

ok i could understand if the water was strong flowing with undercurrents there is no way i would dive in that.

but a lake thats 6ft deep i would have dived in and helped. if there wasnt an exact visual i would have got a rough location form the people who saw the situation and called for help.

Certifications: MCP 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA + Messaging, MCSE + Security
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I had a similar conversation with a friend the other day before this happened.

This is what i said
    thats right you'd want the real one.

What on earth is the point of fake police officers with no training or powers ? They don't even provide much of a deterrent, they have a different uniform so even the criminals know they are fake coppers and can't do anything.

I expect they didn't want to get their feet wet...

As for the XP vs Vista debate I would say that 10 years is quite a long time to take to introduce basic security features, the reason people complain is because they have been conditioned to the poor design conventions microsoft have instilled in them for the past ten years, if microsoft had created a more optimal design before there would not now be a shift in the user experience which always causes issues. I mean just look at the UI, what genius thinks putting the maximise widget next to quit widget is a good idea ? There are many elements to Vista and the UAC which could have been implemented slightly differently and still have been an improvement, for instance why require escalation when logged in as admin ? They could have made this an option for those unconcered with security, those users could then have logged in as admin and had a similar experience as before. Not that I'd reccomend this, but since this has been the unofficial MS policy for home users for so long its no surprise people complain when its changed.

In fact you could indeed liken both to the same thing, to me they both relate to an acceptance of mediocrity instead of a pursuit for excellence...

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

1) Again you miss my point. This isn't a debate about XP vs. Vista.

2) Users are lazy regarding security regardless of what OS they use. Care to take a look at Apple's lazy users?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Well if its entirely an analogy then my appologies.

I would then say that its probably largely two different groups, those that want tight security and those that want lax security.
    Therefore their views are not necessarilly inconsistent.

There will be a small group of people that yes, do want to have their cake and eat it, buttered both sides whatever, sometimes this is irrational sometimes it should question us to look at the problem closer.

People have had rising taxation for many years here, no one asked for 'cheap police' or tax cuts by cutting police etc. The people who want to sue for good samaritan acts must be in an extreme minority, according to democracy therefore their arguments should be ignored. I have no idea why the courts and the politicians buy into this PC stuff. The world is not binary, it is fuzzy, as is this problem, its shades of grey, your binary logic is flawed, sometimes the inconsistency arises simply from mapping a complex N dimensional problem into a binary rule based system. Altering the situation only slightly could cause the system to resolve the problem differently, its the chaos effect, the butterflies wings. A simple example could be, you might have an entirely consistent view of the world and set of opinions, yet you might answer an ambiguous question differently based on the time of day or your mood, the slight differences in state affect the result, you interpret the question differently and hence the result changes.

6. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

Unfortnatly i can see both sides of this argument.

The officers side is - Not trained for medical rescue, so what happened if they had rescued the children but had to do cpr? untrained people doing cpr stand a much higher risk of injuring or even killing small children due to the lower amount of pressure required to crush there chests.

The parents side - They are trained police officers, granted they are not full officers however if they are out on the street they should do all they can do to help.

Now im not saying that either side is entirly right or wrong, however i do think that if these comunity officers are to be out in the public, in place of police officers, then they should surley be trained in things like basic first aid, incident handling so that this sort of thing does not happen.

There are multiple views of what actually happened, ive heard some stories of the officers just standing and watching them sink while waiting for backup, to they could not see anyone on the surface since it was murky water.

I am not going to take sides in this since i think there is an element of wrong in both the training of the comunity support officers and in the way they are being handled by the general public.

(just my 2 cents)

edit : - I do however think that instead of training the comunity support officers they should put the funding into regular officers then potentially this sort of thing would not happen

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well