Can you see a job at the end of your IT qualification?

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by UCHEEKYMONKEY, Feb 1, 2008.

?

Can you see a job at the end of your IT qualification?

Poll closed Mar 2, 2008.
  1. Yes, I research the job market before doing the qualification!

11 vote(s)
    64.7%
  2. No, I just do what my training provider tells me to do!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, I do volunteer work/work experience and then choose my Qualification

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  4. No, because I believe an IT qualification will guarantee a job

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

It’s as far as I’m concerned deliberately dishonest and unethical to make people think they are going to walk into a well paid job. I'm surprised training companies don't get sued a lot. I've seen too many people sucked in with this claim and ££££ out of pocket for the pleasure. Places like CF help people to see this before it's too late.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. purplejade

purplejade Nibble Poster

I have been studying for IT since 2005, started with A+ then N+ and then CCNA, invested in Cisco Lab, in all of these heavy books...after three years of grinding, working and studying passing my N+ and CCNA..which was in august 2007...I am still looking for a job...and I am frustrated to say the least..the funny thing is I am not even looking for big salaries..and have applied for entry level jobs ..1st line support etc...but have got no joy..lots of guys from recruiting agencies call after seeing my cv on the web..but not even a single offer an interview...how hard can it be to get a job in IT? ...at the momment for me its not happening...have done everything.. changed CV..discarded my irrelevent qualifications for IT like BSC, MBA etc on my CV..

Having said all that, I feel very happy and enlightened with the knowledge that I have gained and that spurs me on..I am about to give my A+ which I am finished revising...and have already invested in the books for MCSA/MCSE..and started on it...

Wish me luck...

Certifications: CCNA N+
    WIP: A+
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That's because the CCNA doesn't relate to entry-level jobs. You're being passed over because you are terribly overcertified for your experience level. The MCSA and MCSE will only make your problem worse.

So why in the world would an entry-level employer pass you over because you have advanced certifications? Certainly that should make you look more attractive to an employer, right? Unfortunately, it does not, for several reasons:

1) Passing advanced exams before you have the appropriate amount of experience is a HUGE red flag to many employers. I have no idea what methods you used to study, but the overwhelming majority of people who get advanced certifications without first having experience use braindumps to get their certifications.

2) Some employers will think that they can't afford you because they think you'll expect too much money because of your certifications. Sure, you're not *looking* for big salaries... but employers have no way of knowing that when they get your CV across their desk.

3) Some employers will think that you're a flight risk. Your advanced certifications are a huge blinking neon sign that says to an entry-level employer, "I want to use your entry-level job as a stepping stone so I can get on to something more advanced which pays better". That may indeed be your plan... I know it was for me. But don't let the employer know that! Get your foot in the door... THEN look for ways to advance!!

My advice would be this:

1) Drop the CCNA from your CV. It's not going to be helpful to getting an entry-level job, and without experience, you won't be able to use it to get a Cisco router admin job.
    2) Put the MCSA/MCSE on the back burner until you get 6 months of experience administering servers in a domain enviroment - not 6 months in IT, but 6 months doing THAT job. That won't likely be for a couple of years, at least.
    3) If you're dead set on getting more certifications past the A+ and Network+, get the MCDST. That's relevant to desktop support work, which is possible to do as an entry-level tech.

Certifications are great... but certifications without the appropriate amount of experience are useless... and in fact... can even be harmful to your IT career.

Good luck to you. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. michael78

Sorry Michael I would have to disagree with that as I don't think CCNA is that advanced and a lot of colleges offer CCNA academies and employers do look for people with these certs even for entry level. I did half of my CCNA at college but left to go down the Microsoft Route and the fact I couldn't be bothered to retake the exam every 3 years. I would keep your CCNA on your CV especially if your looking for a networking job.

The only advice I would give is possibly to do the A+ before the MCSA/MCSE but at the end of the day IT is a hard profession to break into regardless of your certs.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  5. purplejade

purplejade Nibble Poster

Hi Boson,

Very much appreciated your feedback.. what are the chances of someone hiring a bloke aspiring to become an IT professional..with no certifications or experiance ?....just how do you start in IT ? for me its different I am not a young graduate anymore...and I am looking for a career change while working fulltime..so everything revolves around my full time job..study..family..and work ( its been three years since I had game of tennis :biggrin) ...but I guess the points you have made from employers perspective hits the nail on the head. As far as Braindumps are concerned...I wouldnt have taken three years to complete my CCNA, and what for ? one would be a sitting duck if you passed your CCNA through BDUMPS...
    It baffles me really..with any degree or qualificaiton in any profession you atleast end up with an entry level job in that particular profession, not so in IT. is it the egg or the chicken that came first ?

Certifications: CCNA N+
    WIP: A+
  6. BosonMichael

Doesn't matter what you or I think... it matters what employers think. You can take the advice, or you can ignore the advice. But ultimately, what I am saying is what is actually happening to PurpleJade.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

The CCNA is NOT considered advanced by the majority of companies
    thats not to say its not a pretty advanced cert
    its not entry level by any standard

Mike is correct that it's not an entry level cert, but its not considered advanced by companies, even technical staff, its considered 'entry level' in it's perspective, which it is
    but networking is not an entry level role, so there is an assumption of prior knowledge in alternate technical areas

atleast thats my experiance over the years both hiring and interviewing

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. BosonMichael

For an entry-level position, the chances are good. With entry-level certifications, a polished CV, and the ability to interview well, the chances are great. But for a higher-level position, the chances are extremely low. Companies don't hire for those positions without experience.

Entry-level positions include help desk tech, desktop support tech, PC repair tech, field service tech, level 1/first-line tech, etc. If a position requires experience... then it's likely that you're being beaten out by someone who has experience.

I was 28 when I got my first "real" IT job (as a field service tech). I had no certifications, and I had a non-IT Bachelors degree.

If you're looking for a career change... might it be that you're looking to make more than entry-level IT jobs pay? I have no idea how much you are looking for... but entry-level IT jobs don't pay that great. In time, your salary will rise - in some cases, pretty dramatically. But they won't start out high. You can ask some of the others on here what they made in their first IT job (or what they're seeing offered as they look for entry-level IT jobs in their area). Obviously, the salary differs based on the geographic area.

You know that, and I know that... but an employer isn't going to know that. Gotta look at this from the perspective of someone who does not know you. All they see is your CV, and in 15 seconds, they make the decision to put your CV on the "to review further" pile or the "to be shredded" pile.

You can end up with an entry-level IT job with - or without - a degree or qualification. Just ask the people on here who have gotten their first IT job. Although it may seem like it to you, it's really not a "chicken or the egg" kind of thing. You don't need experience for an entry-level IT job. By definition, an entry-level job is a job in which you ENTER the field. Thus, if you are just now ENTERING the field... you cannot have had any experience. Thus, if a job absolutely REQUIRES (not simply prefers) experience, it is NOT an entry-level job.

Getting your first IT job is the hardest job you'll ever get - after you've gotten your first job, it gets MUCH easier. Stick with it. But I'd recommend that you follow the advice in my previous post. Get certifications that are relevant to the jobs you are applying for. If you need CV help, get that. If you need help on writing cover letters, get that. If you need interview help, get that. If you need to know how and where to apply for jobs, get that. All this assistance is available... right in this very CertForums community.

9. michael78

I simply wouldn't remove the CCNA from your CV due to the fact that it's taking away an edge that you may have over other's appying for jobs. Again whilst I agree the CCNA isn't easy it is seen as entry level for Cisco. I also think if your interested in that area then taking it off your CV is crazy.

I would agree that having a load of certs to your name and no commercial experience would possibly set alarm bells ringing but I don't think having a CCNA and A+ on your CV would be considered a lot. I agree though that I wouldn't attempt getting your MSCA/MCSE without commercial experience as they are high level certs and take a lot of knowledge and experience to complete.

10. BosonMichael

But for an entry-level job, it's not an edge; it's a detriment. It is simply not relevant to an entry-level position. If you don't understand the three points I gave above, then I really cannot explain it any other way, and we will just have to disagree.

EDIT: Perhaps you have some other idea as to why PJ isn't having any luck getting a job WITH the CCNA still on his CV??

Again, you don't feel it's a lot, but employers do because - I sound like a broken record - the CCNA is not relevant to entry-level jobs. If you can tell me how the CCNA is relevant to entry-level tech jobs, I'll change my opinion.

To be honest, I view the CCNA at about the same experience level as the MCSA... as do many employers. It is by no means a certification for people without experience.

11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

I'm sorry Mike but I'm gonna jump in here
    Employers in your neck of the woods differ from employers in other places, and all entry level jobs are not created equal!
    There is no 'one answer fits all' situation here and Slypies comments are absolutely valid and useful, you can disagree without correcting everything he has said

they are both VERY valid points of view, and both are correct, the key here is to know the situation and expectation in your area / field, this is easy to do once you get on board with a few recruiters who you can speak to about your progress, as well as members who are in similar situations here

12. BosonMichael

My point is... PJ's having a problem with the CCNA on his resume. He should at least consider that THAT is indeed the problem, since that is the sort of stuff I hear from BOTH sides of the pond.

Perhaps I'm off my rocker, and employers just don't like the font he uses on his CV. :rolleyes:

13. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Jump in here with a very late post!

I would probably choose both these options (if I had seen the poll!)

Yes, I research the job market before doing the qualification!
    Yes, I do volunteer work/work experience and then choose my Qualification

Currently, its mostly the 2nd, but I wouldn't rule out the 1st though. Whilst I'm looking to move internally in the company, and I have my next couple of certs lined up (Net+ and 70-270) I always look ahead to the next step up and to see what is needed - but that is way off for the time being :)

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  14. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Like I said mate, your point was totally valid, I just personally feel Slypies was equally valid, and we have no precise way of knowing exactly what the solution to PJs problem will ultimately be, he can certainly try BOTH (and perhaps more) options, in fact to get the best results then that's exactly what he should do
    Your right, he should consider what you have highlighted as a possible problem, that wasn't what I was getting at :)

But wingdings would be a poor choice of font I agree

15. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I'm a bit late on this thread also :oops:

I choose:

Yes, I research the job market before doing the qualification! &
    Yes, I have/gain work experience and then choose my Qualification.

For me it's a question of career progression vs stagnating

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security