Can you see a job at the end of your IT qualification?

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by UCHEEKYMONKEY, Feb 1, 2008.

?

Poll closed Mar 2, 2008.
  1. Yes, I research the job market before doing the qualification!

11 vote(s)
    64.7%
  2. No, I just do what my training provider tells me to do!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, I do volunteer work/work experience and then choose my Qualification

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  4. No, because I believe an IT qualification will guarantee a job

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Do you do your research in the IT job market or just hope there is a job waiting for you at the end of your qualification?

I hope to try and get feedback from members here who are just starting out in IT or who have been in IT for a while and have done an IT degree or Certification.8)

I curious to know if people know what they are signing themselves up for or just believe the hype?:blink

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  2. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

I have set the poll up for multiple choice in my case I research the market to find out how to get into IT and then applied to do a MCDST. It was only when a IT training provider came round to the house and told me MCDST are a waste of time and I needed to do a MCSE to get a job in IT. Because as they put it" a MCSE opens doors in IT guarantees a job in IT" :p:biggrin

It was only through the advice and support on CF that I choose to do A+ and then went off to do some voluntary work in IT before commiting myself to the certification journey!:biggrin

3. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Personally, I had the job before I started out with the certs.

Im doing them to prove my knowledge and position within the industry, and also because each cert I pass (A+, N+, 270, 290, 291, 284) I get a salary increase with my current company which amounts to around 5K for all of them. Also because when im MCSA certified and build on my 2 years of experience I already have supporting servers/network etc.. I feel I could push on and get a better job with a better salary. Regarding research, in my opinion there is always jobs in the field, there are hundreds of postings every day for IT jobs in and around London, its just a matter of whether you ready for the job experience/knowledge wise.

8)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Do not believe the hype. Alot do. They actually believe they'll get a starting salary of 26k +. Or worse yet assume from "market research" that they need an MCSE to get anywhere

I studied on my own time( A+ and MCP) as I didnt feel the companies offering certs and trainig offered value for money and the flexibility I needed. At one point I was applying for upwards of 30 jobs a week and getting next to no response but eventually I got a job. Although at one point I was definately ready to give it all up:cry:

There is light at the end of teh tunnel but its a long on and everyone has a different experience when "Breaking in to IT"

Its strange though. In my current role the only way up is experience (and dead mans shoes) and the most senior person here as far as I know has no certs but has been on some of the cert courses to gain knowledge. I do know however that If I want jump ship it would be helpful to get certified in the technologys I'm using to validate my skills.

Swings and roundabouts eh

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks for the input nXPLOSi:thumbleft

nXPLOSi - does your employer pay for the certs/training or do you pay for it?

So did you always know what part of IT you wanted to get into or did your plans just change with what was available to you??8)

6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks skulkerboyo:thumbleft have you ever thought about doing work experience or volunteer work? I know it doesn't pay the bills but it does give you work experience for your CV8)

7. skulkerboyo

Hmm not sure you understood my original post. . . . Yeah it took me a while to get into I.T. but I was lucky and went straight in at second line support with a very good company and although they count experience over certs (mainly due to familiarity with the set up they have here) they do send you if you ask.
    They are a charity organisation (Institute of Physics Publishing) and very cash rich. They are also an "Investor in People" so spend a fair bit of the budget on education. Theyre sending me for ITIL v3 on the 13th and I've already talked them in to letting me do the server exams for MCSA. So cert wise it should be a good year but chiefly I'm just glad I landed on my feet with this role after spending so long looking.

My point was none of these certs will get me further (except maybe a small payrise) within this company because everyones so happy working here (they are a ludicrously good company to work for I even get free entry to the zoo. Free monkey bothering - awesome) but certs would perhaps be neccessary to progress into another company in a more senior role.

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
  8. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Actually I did understand your original post but what I was trying to ascertain if you ever done Voluntary work or even know of anyone who has that may of helped them get a job?

Hmmm I think re-edit that post or go and drink another cup of coffee and then re-editLOL:p:biggrin

I just can't seem to get my brain into gear today!

9. skulkerboyo

Aah i see.:eek: The question was past tense. Actually the week before I was offered the job I was due to start volunteer work at a school (already CRB checked from what was at that time my job). I mentioned this in my interview and think it counted alot towards the final decision. Definately worth it especially if lacking in experience and I think that despite not doing the volunteer work in the end it did (or at least the notion of it) help me get a job

10. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I paid for the A+ Books, Transcenders and exams myself which was just before my employer offered me training and progression, not knowing I was learning off my own back already. I think he was so impressed that I had already made a start without asking for anything so he said he'd pay for any materials, courses, exams etc... for any certs I thought would be beneficial to myself and the company.

Being a small company with only myself and one fellow IT guy, we work it that im System/Network Admin and IT Support and he's the Database Admin/Developer. (We have our own inhouse built software). So to answer your question, I looked at what im responsible for, being Windows XP workstations, Windows Server 2003, Exchange 2003, Network and general IT Support. I then looked at Cert paths and drew up -

A+ for a good starting base
    N+ to gain extra network knowledge and troubleshooting
    70-270 - Windows XP
    70 - 290/291 - Server 2003
    70 - 284 - Exchange 2003

All in all - A+, N+ and MCSA:M. I felt I looked at what I already had rather then choosing what I wanted to go into. Luckily enough I really enjoy what I already had, and I think would probably have chose this path anyway!

8)

I now have to ask the reverse UCM, what are you hoping to get into, and whats your reasons behind that? I see you've said you took on the A+ as a starter, which was definately the right choice over MCSE at this stage, but wheres the A+ path leading in the future? 8)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yes and no...

Yes, in that IT certifications can help you get your resume noticed, which can help you to get a job...

No, in that learning never ends in IT, so there should never be an "end" to your certifications.

Certifications don't guarantee you a job, nor are they required for many jobs. But they do help.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks for your input BM:rocks and everyone who has contributed:thumbleft

can't help wondering why some of the members who looked at the thread/poll didn't post?
    After all how many of us have made the mistake of not researching something and just buying something on a whim?? Car, mobile phone computer game, dvd??:blink

The poll is anonymous no one should feel uncomfortable about voting8)

13. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Well I started on IT certs after a few years already working in IT, I had experience of working on a IT helpdesk, being the only IT support guy for a small company and also a network admin for a fairly large company.

For me its best to the right certs at the *right* time. No point in doing the MCSE if you have FA network experience. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  14. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Getting back to the question, I hope something comes of it when I get certified:rolleyes:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  15. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

I choose what I want to certify in.

For example, we have a number of customers who have a mixed M$/Linux environment. NONE of co-workers even acknowledge that Linux exists. They are all 100% die-hard Bill followers. Now, I have nothing against Windoze, WHEN is works. I'm also by no means a Linux expert, since Google is my friend.........however........when the yearly performance reviews, raises and promotions came up last year, I was only 1 of 3 (out of 20) that got a raise, and the only one promoted (sr. tech, oh joy), because I was willing to learn stuff other than M$.

Now I have decided to get Linux certified (in some form). When the powers that be heard this, they offered to pick up the tab. :D

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  16. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

What I did was I got my A+ while I was still in school. I didn't have any experience nor any idea as to how the real world in IT functions. In school I was pretty good at labs in regards to A+ and I understood the concept well but when I got my first IT job I realized that it was not the same at all. I basically had to learn the A+ again but this time it was the hands on portion. Luckily I picked it up fairly quickly and it was then when I discovered certforums. On these boards people explained to me that I needed experience before pursuing any certification. So I took their advice and thats what I am doing now.

In terms of whether I did voluntary work or not the answer is yes. At the end of my program we had to a two month stage for experience with no pay, so that what helped me land my current job.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  17. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

My reason for going down the certification path is because my jobs have been schizophrenic for the last few years, and I want the systems/networking and database parts to be validated, and all the gaps in knowledge filled in before I start jobhunting again.

I've been lucky with the last few jobs, in gaining far more experience than would be thinkable from the job descriptions, but I'm gambling that with the certifications on my CV, I'll have more choices when I start looking again.

So yeah, I can see a job at the end of it, the problem is, will it be as schizophrenic as the last few?

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  18. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I didn't vote because I didn't agree with any of the choices. :oops:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  19. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

That is one of my biggest gripes about training companies who say you can get a starting salary of £26k as its complete bulls@it. It's irresponsible of them to state that and they shouldn't be allowed to do it. It took me 4 years to get to that level and a lot of hard work. You would have to be very talented for a company to give you that salary (don't know what it's like in London though as the starting salaries might be higher there).

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  20. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

True you have a point there mate, but if they told the truth that the IT sector is very competitive and you might have to start on a low wage even if you get the certs after shredding out bucket loads of money, leaving you Debt.

Well I don't think they would have any customers.

Infact most IT traning company's like CT remind me of Boyce from only Fools & horses who sell second hand dodgy cars. You don't know what you've got until it's too late!:p:biggrin