Can you recommend Media for Archiving?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Enigma101, May 18, 2010.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

All the secrets I know have already been spilled on the History Channel and the Discovery Channel - seriously. When I saw classified information that I learned in the service being broadcast on cable, I was quite surprised.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Isn't that a good thing though?

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  3. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Just to throw one more cloud example, which I really like, into the mix has anyone tried Dropbox which securely backs up and encrypts your files off site, so you can access them from anywhere but also the files are cached on your machine as well.

The other use is it allows you to sync those files between a number of locations easily as once a file is moved into or changed in the drop box folder that file is published to the cloud, at which point the machines you want to have access to the data download them when they next check in.

Really simple and we use it to hold an encyrpted copy of our documentation and service accounts off site in case it all goes horribly horribly wrong.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I use Dropbox and Microsoft Live Mesh
    but i dont consider these backup tools, the fact that they sync changes to files makes them syncronization tools, if i was to corrupt a file, it would syncronize the corruption

I have heard that Dropbox has some versioning now, I dont use it so cant comment, but this would enable rudimentary backup setup, but what with Mozy backing up daily to local disk and cloud with 30 day snapshots, but i could give it a go
    i have the Dropbox client on about 3 Windows Pcs, 2 Macs, an iPad and an iphone, its very handy to get my files everywhere :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

3 1/2 inch floppy for me every time.

Sorry, what were we talking about again?

:oops:

Last edited: May 19, 2010
    Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I have worked at one or two places that are not actually allowed to store data online by law

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  7. supernova

I expect he would also be looking for a solution that automatically decides which data should be archived based on rules, usage, modified date and/or last accessed. I have seen such software for SMEs in the use with tape and cd drive jukeboxes and manual media libraries just cant remember who it was by. In fact i would be interested my self in knowing.

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  8. supernova

I tend to use dropbox as more of a usb stick replacement, i even put pocket versions of software on it.

yes it does , i haven't used it to restore, but did look at a history of a file to see what it was like. All good stuff.

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Depends on whether any enemies are watching. :ninja

I don't use it, but a few guys at work do, and they love it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

There's a whole other side to the 'cloud storage' argument - that of legality of data stored in one location may not be the same as legality of the same data stored in another. Just because you're accessing data stored in the abstract concept of a cloud, doesn't mean that the actual data itself isn't stored on a physical box somewhere in a completely different legal jurisdiction to the one it was created/legally used in.

Say, hypothetically, that you are engaged in some practice which, although perfectly legal in your country, is NOT legal in, say, Indonesia - where the actual box that stores your data may sit. Where's the legal protection for you if the government of that country decides to delete all your data - without warning - because it doesn't comply with their laws? And don't give it the old chestnut of all your data being replicated to different countries - that just introduces more complexity in the process as, instead of two legal jurisdiction differences to worry about, you may have dozens.

Legal minefield, the whole thing.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  11. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I'm voting for a demo please Ryan! :tune

I work for a service provider and it does appear that most things (wherever possible) are now "clouded"

Anyone using Acronis online backup datastorage? Just looking at Mozy now - so there is no limit for personal storage?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  12. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

I use Dropbox, it's free for storage up to 2gb (dependent on referrals) and costs little beyond that for expanded storage.

Does the job for me and non-sensitive stuff I don't mind synching between work, home and my BlackBerry.

I've also just started using Evernote which I have yet to make full use of but I see it's potential as a scrapbook of sorts, I know it's not a backup product.

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  13. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

What were we talking about? We were saying that it's about time you got yourself a hard disk young man. :twisted:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685