Can someone help with this idea

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by taipei, Nov 18, 2008.

1. taipei

taipei New Member

Hello Members,

I bought another laptop, and have two laptops.

Laptop A is running Windows XP Pro
    Laptop B is running Windows Vista

I still have had no luck in connecting these two laptops together into
    a mini network, so I can practice sharing files back and forth,
    mapping drives, permissions, etc.

Both Laptops have Wireless connections. Laptop A is connected to the internet through a DSL router. Laptop B is also now able to use the internet as well through this router. But the main problem is I want to connect these two laptops together. Can someone please explain in a STEP BY STEP way, how to do this. I have never done this before, so if you can do this Step by step, I'd appreciate it . I'd like to connect them with their wireless connection, I'd rather no use a cable to connect them. Can you explain how to do this. Thankyou All. Ric

2. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Will give you a guide on this the best way i can...
    A network bridge is software or hardware that connects two or more networks so that they can communicate. Say you have 2 networks in onethe computers are connected with cables& in the other the computers are connected using wireless technology. The wired pcs can only communicate with other wired computers, and the wirless computers can only communicate with other wireless computers. With a network bridge, all of the computers can communicate with each other. Of course If you use the network brige softwa built into windows, you dont need to buy aditional hardware.

To create a network bridge do this;
    ---- Open network connections
    -----Hold down CTRL and select each network connection that you want to add to the bridge.
    -----Right-click one of the selected network connections, and then click bridge connections.
    dont create a bridge betwen an internet connection and a network connection cuz it creates an unprotected link between your network and the nternet, which makes your network accessible to anyone on the internet. Hope this helps..

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  3. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

You don't need to bridge the NIC's, the OP says he wants to use WiFi on both laptops through the same router.

There could be a number of reasons why this isn't working, but I suspect your problem is probably due to the firewall setting on the laptops.

Lets try this first and see how you get on.

1) Make sure both laptops are connected to the Wireless router using their wireless connections
    2) On laptop A go to Control Panel > Windows Firewall
    3) On the Exceptions Tab look for File and Print Sharing and make sure this is ticked
    4) Click Apply and then OK to close the firewall properties
    5) Now you need to do the same on Laptop B (I don't use Vista so not sure how you get to the firewall settings)
    6) When you have File and Print Sharing allowed on both laptops go to My Computer on Laptop A and in look in My Network Places > Microsoft Windows Network > WORKGROUP
    You should now see laptop B
    7) If you click on Laptop B you will be able to see any available shares or printers on the laptop

If this works then the next step is to start creating shared folders for on the laptops and accessing them from the other laptop.

HTH 8)

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  4. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Hi,

I have similar - well one is a Vista workstation...then I have an XP workstation and an XP laptop - all are connected wirelessley to the router.

When I first set it all up I found that I could get the XP machines to communicate fine - was able to share out the files (either as a workgroup or independently with permissions)...but (although Vista machine was pingable via it's ip address) couldn't see the Vista files...

...this was because the network discovery and file settings needed changing.

Bit busy to write a detailed explanation, but the below may help you (if that's what the issue is):

http://www.vista4beginners.com/Enable-network-discovery-file-sharing

Lee

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

In Vista, you can change it's settings here: Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I have never really used them myself but there are two wizards you can also use that takes you through the process, found in Control panel.

1. "Wireless Network Setup Wizard" :-

"setup network" (goes straight in first time)

if your router doesn't support a USB key (not many do) with this data for automatic setup, print/manual wizard results & enter or manually enter settings into wizard if your already have them provided.

then

use flash drive for other computers can always go back to wizard - "Add devices to network" wizard to make again

then run

2. "Network set-up wizard" on each pc to set-up - internet sharing (dont need with router) computer name, shares, printers and firewall (windows local).

I think these are the same in vista via "Network and Sharing Centre" (as i don't use it), i am also sure that you can use the flash drive made on xp with vista if it uptodate but dont take my word for that, you may like to make on vista

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots