can anyone recommend a torrent client

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by shaunyboy, Oct 14, 2004.

1. shaunyboy

shaunyboy Nibble Poster

I've tried using azureus as a torrent client but for some reason it lines them up, tells me the number of seeds and d/l's but just leaves them all waiting. I have opened up 6881, gone thru the faq's but nothing seems to get them started.

If anyone uses this client and can suggest what I am doing wrong please get in touch.

Failing that, can someone recommend a good client that they have found, or an idiots guide to running the bittorrent client from the command line.

Thank you kindly.

Certifications: A+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Exchange
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

hmm, cant say ive ever used the command line version

if you want to run it on a headless server your best bet would be to tunnel an X session over to a not so headless server :)

ssh -X server_with_azeurus

then run azurus and it will load in the local X session

as for azeurus, i use it on three machines
    what are you connecting too? what are you trying to get?
    should work fine
    pm me if you cant talk about it here

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. shaunyboy

shaunyboy Nibble Poster

It works!!!

I think it was a router problem, nothing has changed on my PC but I have had to unplug the router today and I guess that must have done it. Normally you can just run a reboot from a browser and the changes take effect but doesn't seem to have happened here. Slightly frustrating as I had tweaked it for hours on end....

You helped out on a VPN problem a couple of weeks back Ryan where I had opened port 1723 but still got no response at the client, I guess it may have been the same there.

I shall tackle it again when I can be bothered.

4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

im glad my router doesnt require a reboot to effect changes, that would annoy the hell out of me, im always opening and closing ports, adding and removing firewall rules lol

it will be a tad simpler when i get my SSH gateway up and running, but i dont have the hardware for it yet hehe :)

5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Btw

might i recommend you change the default port (on your router, and on yoru AZ client)

alot of ISPs throttle bandwidth on BT ports, and alot of sites just wont give you a connection if your using that port

6. shaunyboy

shaunyboy Nibble Poster

Thanks Ryan, don't seem to have any problems downloading (far faster than anything I managed using various clients on w2k in fact) but I will change the port when these have finished. Do i just change it to something slightly above 6881 or totally out of the normal range?

What I really want is a seed for the redhat 9.0 disk one, there used to be loads on suprnova but at the mo I'm having to use a 1.5GB file which I guess is all 3 discs. I'm going to google and try to hunt some other sites down but in the meantime do you know any good sites for linux iso's?

Cheers,

Shaun

7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

the problem with the torrent system is its not much use for stuff thats not in wide demand anymore, as the trackers go down, and the seeders are less

for stuff like this you are FAR better off just ftping the ISO image

which is still avaialble from ftp.redhat.com and linuxiso.org