Cameras set to catch side-street speeders

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Mr.Cheeks, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

NETWORKS of speed cameras :x , which will catch every driver breaking the limit, are to be installed in 20mph residential areas as an alternative to road humps.

All entry and exit points to neighbourhoods will be covered by the cameras, which will calculate automatically the average speed of the vehicle while travelling through the area. OffendersÂ’ vehicle number will be transmitted instantly to an office that issues penalties.....

To read the rest of this article about the theiving money making government, click over here.... if you dont want to, click on the back button on your browser....

2. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Well im not suprised to be honest, i remember having a chat with an old tutor of mine who told me that this is what it would be like in the future. Though its an easy wasy for the government to make money , how much money do we get back when the likes of john(jabba the hutt)prescott gets his leg over with the secretary(miss piggy).

Though i agree you shouldnt be doing 60 in a 20 area where kids could run out into the middle of the road, i do think that the government is taking major decisions away from us and its becoming a nanny state. One thing i do agree with is black boxes like they have in aeroplanes, i think that these would be better and would be crucial in an accident. It would certainly stop peaple lying out of their teeth in order for them to take responsability of their actions.

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  3. Mr.Cheeks

i dont mind the speed bumps, or the zig zag things where you drive zig zag like, but when its like 3am in the morning, everyone is asleep then its quie, a little extra is ok, you dont foot it at 60 but 30 is ok, but you have to access the situation, weather condition, visibility, and ofcourse your driving style, but when BB is watching, your trying to stick with 20, your going to go slighty over cuz your use to doing 30, say you do 24, then 22, then 25, then 20, your average is ? but what ever it is, its over 20-mph and your gonna get snapped...

4. phoenix510

phoenix510 Byte Poster

Perhaps the government is becoming more and more like BB or George Orwells 1984, but these devices are put in place for our safety be it for a childs who is playing or a drunk staggering through the streets at 3 am after a good night on the plonk. None of us are forced at gun point to speed so if we are caught then we are only to blame. My gripe is that the fines collected should go straight back into improving our roads and not lining the governments / police forces pockets.

Certifications: ECDL, MOS WORD & Excel, MCDST
    WIP: A+ & 70-270
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

err, no, its not ok
    its a 20 zone
    its not a time based 20 zone, its a 20 zone, 24/7, and i for one would much perfur that to the dreaded speed bump any day of the week
    if you have driven round london recently you would notice almost any residential road is now covered in the buggers! :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Apparently in Germany they are very strict on speed limits in housing and residential areas. They are allowed to use hidden speed traps and it's all very stictly enforced. As a side effect they have significantly lower deaths and injuries in those areas.

If it can be shown that such schemes could be implemented in this country then I would embrace it. The amount of people who blast around residential estates because they are in a rush, or have a powerful car is getting more and more common.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Let's face it, most of the accidents are either boy racers out to impress their friends/girlfriend or those idiots who ride around on their mini-moto's or clapped out mopeds not wearing helmets.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  8. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

Personally, I'm for it. I live in a busy 20mph residential zone, and you often get people cutting up my road to avoid the M1 roundabout not far away. Although we've got speedbumps and signs in place, you often get cars and vans barrelling up and down and I've seen a few very near misses. I've also seen cars going at least 70mph between bumps and you occasionally get idiots doing donuts and burnouts in the middle of the road!!

Lord Deckard.

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  9. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

This is just my opinion, but I think all of you who are for ever more intrusive government actions ought to read my new sig.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  10. mickyc

mickyc Bit Poster

Sounds to me like we will have to spend more time checking our speedometers and less time watching the road. i say spend the money on more traffic cops not cameras. but then again that would involve arresting more criminals which would cost money and not make it. your average joyrider flying around a council estate at 1 in the morning is more worried about police officers than speed cameras.

WIP: A+,N+>MCSA
  11. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

The soultion to the problem of speeding is simple, although it would be expensive to implement.

Fit all cars with speed limiters, you know like those that they use in racing when the enter the pit lane and you are electronicly restricted to a certain speed. At the start of the zone have a limiter, and another at the end. Simple, but feasable.

12. ffreeloader

Hardly simple. Feasable? No. Ever had to stomp the gas pedal to avoid an accident? I have, driving both cars and motorcycles. You're driving down the street doing the speed limit and some knothead backs out or comes out of a side street and would hit you if you don't mash the throttle to get out of their way. Hitting the brake would just ensure they hit you. With your idea the driver would be defenseless in such situations. And what about rushing someone to a hospital? They would be stuck at some insanely slow speed when life depends on speed. I've been in that position too--driving someone to the hospital while they are bleeding out from a severe cut. Seconds count in these situations, and you would have all vehicles limited electronically to the speed limit.

And just where does our idea of placing speed limiters stop? Residential? Business? Freeways? Rural roads? Once you get a government doing things like this they have never shown an inclination to stop at any kind of sane position. This is just a really bad idea.

Also, on race cars they use rpm limiters, not speed limiters.

13. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Err..yes interesting point however what if your in an emergency situation, a car has pulled out into your lane on the motorway M25 or M3 is a good example - in order to avoid hitting them you have to quickly change lanes. You can't put on the brakes because there is a large white van behind you - almost kissing your bumper. The only solution is to go to the next lane, but then you see in your wing mirror a Speeding BMW doing more than 80mph!

What do you do?
    Press the ejector seat?

Monkey (I think I've made my point) 8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  14. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Well Said Freddy, you just beat me, replying to the post. Wow you must be a quick typer!

I was just reading one of your threads on Tech-uni

Monkey :)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  15. ffreeloader

Nah, not a fast typist. I always say the same thing on every post anyway, so I just have a script post for me: Microsoft sucks.... :twisted: :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin

16. Mr.Cheeks

:thumbleft ROTFLMAO!

17. damienj3

damienj3 Byte Poster

O.k so they set up cameras that take pictures of number plates. The problem where I live is that these people are forever stealing and switching number plates. I say more orificers

Certifications: mcse
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  18. Mr.Cheeks

remind not to come down to your area then...

19. damienj3

damienj3 Byte Poster

I wish someone had said that to me a few years ago.:oops:

Certifications: mcse
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  20. ffreeloader