Calling all Linux fans!

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by Boycie, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,
    I was recently reading about a new Linux OS (sorry, can't remember the name) that was like a MAC to use. It cost £40 and came with a wad of programs good enough to cope with all the "office" needs and photo editing etc.
    I was reading it in the dentists and although I can remember the article I can't remember the name :oops:
    Oh, Trip I have had a few Brains now too!
    If anyone doesn't know the name can anyone recommend a Linux OS that is nice and easy to use (like a MAC) where to get it and how much. I would like to start to investigate Linux as I know NOTHING at all about it! Probably start by putting it on my newish Laptop. :D

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Linspire i think is the one you mean never used it just came across it a couple of days ago when googling for linux stuff

http://www.linspire.com/

Only tried installing Fedora and Mandrake but thats as far as my linux use goes so far :biggrin

cheers
    Mick

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Thanks Mick! It was on the tip of my tounge!

4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I'm not so sure relating it to a Mac is a fair assessment. However, that's coming from someone who hasn't used it too. But, from what I've read it's an attempt to make Debian look and act like Windows. It uses apt-get but they've renamed a lot of software packages from what I've read and it can get pretty difficult find the exact software package you're looking for when you start researching Linux packages.

I'm not sure of the following either, but some of the stuff I've read leads me to believe they are very agressive marketers, and once you install their OS you will be bombarded with sales pitches.

Why pay for a copy of Debian when you can get it for free? If you're afraid Debian might be too difficult, and I don't think it's all that tough, especially not Sarge, try another one of the free distros that have descended from Debian such as Ubuntu. I've heard a lot better things about it than I've heard about Linspire.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Ok, thanks. It did cross my mind that most Linux stuff is gratis :blink

6. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

You're welcome. Hope it helps.

I guess I've just never understood why people will pay Mandriva, Linspire, etc... when there are some really good, I think better, alternatives that are free for the using. To me it makes much more sense to try the free ones first, and then if you find you want to spend the money to buy something like Linspire, Mandriva, NDL, etc... so you can support a Linux enterprise you'll at least of some experience to judge it by, and I think, more value for your money because you'll know how to get the most out of the OS.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

thanks matey. it makes perfect sense :D

8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Aye give ubuntu a try, t'is very nice

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP