C.I.W Exams

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by paul uk, Aug 27, 2005.

1. paul uk

paul uk New Member

Hi every one, I’m in the last stage of the ciw site designer course. I started the foundations level last month with U.k I.t training, where I went on a 5 day instructor led course and then took the exam the following week and passed. This exam is the hardest one on this course; it took me about an hour to finish. The site designer exam is a lot easier, took me 25 min to finish.

You do not need to buy any books to get through this course.
    Study the manuals and you will be fine, remember that the answers to all the questions are in the manuals, if you buy other books their information will be different on certain subjects and this will cause you to fail the exam.

For example, view the source code on Amazon's web site you will see in the code that their is no <!DOCTYPE> tag, in the ciw manual it will tell you that this is a must and lists reasons on why you must put this tag in your web pages. Other books might say you don't need this in your web pages (Amazon does not have it, they are one of the leading web sites on the internet, they don't have it why do I need to put it in my web pages). Something like this will only confuse you and could cause you to fail the exam.

The best test paper's to get you ready for the exam are test king.

If you are looking for good books on web development it depends on what area you are focused on, design or programming. For designers try out the zen of css design.
    Programming depends on which language you are learning, if .NET get the mcad/mcsd.

Certifications: C.I.W
    WIP: MCAD/MCSD
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Sorry, but if you've used test king to prepare for the exam then you've cheated and you don't know squat.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. Tecx

Tecx Bit Poster

Hi All,
    Well i'm sorry, I disagree with you there paul about the books.
    CIW have got there own books out to help with this course (WDM) and the other course that they do.
    You may of found it easier to work without other books, But i know that i would like to get some other books to help with this course. :blink

Certifications: CLAIT,ECDL
    WIP: CIW WEBMASTER
  4. paul uk

paul uk New Member

With regards to I don’t know squat, I’ve been in web development for years!
    The language's I program in are JavaScript, perl/cgi, vb script, xml, html, xhtml, dhtml, visual basic, .net, sql, and a bit of c++.
    Also the questions that I got from test king what not the same questions in the exam's I took, the questions are downloaded from a database of thousands of questions you would not get the same questions in the exam I had 70 questions on the test paper and had about 4 of those in the exam.
    On top of that I studied for about 20 hours on each exam.
    If I don't know squat why is my biggest client a division of citigroup?
    I just know my shite!!

5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

That's because you knew the answers before you went in.

Sorry about my previous outburst, but it's something I feel strongly about and I'm sure others here do to.
    But you may not understand.
    Test King and others provide Braindumps. People who have recenty sat exams publish what they remember along with the supposed answer. If you are caught using them, it will invalidate your certification, and theirs, and you will be banned from taking any other further exams.
    The fact that you mentioned that you used them on a public forum, I guess you were unaware of these facts.

Just out of interest, did your training provider give you these practice tests, or did you find them yourself?

6. paul uk

paul uk New Member

I did not know that about those papers my friend gave the site designer one and for the foundations i used sample questions from examsonline, ciw certified, brain buzz and a few others these sites were given to me by the instructor.

7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

OK, just be careful that's all. It could undo all of your hard work.
    I've only heard of test king, so I don't know if the questions given to you by your instructor count as brain dumps, but I'm sure that someone out there will.

If you've got the skills you seem to have, you don't need those things.

8. Tecx

Tecx Bit Poster

Hi
    Paul you have a point their all exams are going to have diffrent questions, because otherwise people will copy and cheat.
    I am looking for question for the foundition exam and questions that will help me though the course.
    I do not belive that going on to these site to get old papers and exams question is wrong.
    I say if anything helps it's all good.

9. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

So you believe that if you are in school and someone is selling the answers to the exams you're taking and it helps you pass that's just fine and dandy? Don't even know where to start with such a proposition other than to euphemistically say it's an "ethically-challenged" way of thinking.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  10. Tecx

Tecx Bit Poster

Hi ffreeloader,
    No i was not saying that, What i was saying was that OLD exam papers are okay not the exam paper.
    When i was doing my GCSE'S we were given old exam papers to look at by the teachers.
    One year to the next the exams questions are changed.
    Every week there is new information in IT coming to light,so everone needs to learn it.
    EVERY EXAM IS DIFFRENT.
    My freind did his ecdl on the same day as me at a diffrent college and his questions were so much diffrent to mine.
    So come on.

11. ffreeloader

So, if your instructor had just placed a list of the questions on the exam in front of you and said, here's every question on the exam, memorize them and you'll ace the test that would have been fine with you? Just because someone is an instructor doesn't mean they have any ethics.

Brain buzz, test king, etc... are just that, exact copies of exams given. I've had instructors try to push that stuff at me too and I wouldn't take it. Funny how all the posters on the school's walls listing all the brain dump sites came down when I asked if Microsoft, Comptia, and Novell knew what they were doing to get their students to pass. I wasn't very popular with my instructors but who cares. At least I put an end to them putting people out in the job market who didn't have the required skills but had passed tests. They were lousy instructors and the failure rate of people taking exams more than quadrupled when they had to stop pushing braindumps.

If you think your cheating doesn't matter, go tell CIW where you got your study questions from and see how long you have your certification. To tell the truth I'd tell them if I had the chance. Cheating cheapens the value of everyone's certs, not just your's.

12. ffreeloader

13. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

To an extent I see what you mean.
    CIW exams change about once a year, and I'm not sure about Microsoft ones.

If you're using braindumps and trying to kid yourself that you are revising old questions like you do in school then I'm afraid you're wrong.
    People who use braindumps have no interest in old exams, they want the answers to current exams so they can get their certification. I don't think there's a market for old braindumps.

Don't confuse the issue by trying to justify it. Braindumps violate the non disclosure agreement that you sign when you do the exam. Hence you invalidate that exam if you use them. The fact that it might be difficult for CIW to track you down and physically remove your qualifications means that you just have to live with it.

There are legit testing tools out there, such as transcender. They're not cheap, but are more reliable. Don't be fooled by claims on a website that they are 'Microsoft approved' etc. The best way to find stuff is to follow a link from the test provider or certification endorser's site.

14. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hey Freddy, don't pile too hard on tecx here - as far as I can tell, he's quite a young Member not long out of school (sorry if I'm wrong here, tecx) and here in the UK, for school exams, we have a long-standing tradition of using "past papers" which are exactly that - students are encouraged to review previous exams to develop/ fine-tune their readiness for this year's exams.

Here, the questions are written afresh each year, so it is not a case of reproducing questions that will still come up. It it the concepts that are under examination - not students' ability to memorise and regurgitate.

HTH :)

EDIT: Sorrry for the brief glitch there, Guys - I accidentally clicked "Edit" instead of "Quote" in reply to Frddy's point :oops:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  15. ffreeloader

I didn't think I was "piling on". I didn't call him names. I simply stated a fact in response to his post. Braindumps are not questions from out of date exams. They are from current exams, and as such are cheating, plain and simple. There really is no "polite" way to state it.

16. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Actually, I apologise Freddy, as my last post was referring to a later post from tecx. Your response was clearly to the above post, and is perfectly valid.

@tecx - as you have seen by now, you can't compare past papers as used for GCSEs, etc, with braindumps. One is legal, the other isn't.

One will help you with your studies, the other will certainly put you at risk of voiding your certs. Simple as that.

17. Tecx

Tecx Bit Poster

Hi,
    I did not mention the word braindumps did I.
    I am saying old exams are okay to look at. NOT THE BRAINDUMPS.
    I know what braindumps are !!!
    I will not be cheating at any exam i never have done and never will.
    SO ffreeloader where did you get your help from ? :x

18. ffreeloader

No problem. I took no offense. I was just trying to clear up what I saw as a misunderstanding on your part. I'm usually pretty direct, but that doesn't mean I'm trying to be rude or obnoxious.

19. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

No, tecx, you didn't mention braindumps, and I dont think you really advocate their use, but your post may have been read that you find them helpful in gaining certs.

Trust me, the responses in this Thread are simply because all of our Members have strong views on this crap, and will not tolerate anyone saying they are worthwhile in anyway.

We'd rather make you aware of the damage they can do to your cert trail, and have nothing to gain from flaming Members who didn't know better about braindumps.

Let's live and learn :)

20. Tecx

Tecx Bit Poster

Hi ffreeloader,
    What i am saying is that i will be looking for old exam papers and not the braindumps.
    I am like you we should all put our own hard work into our courses.
    That is it
    sorry if i upset you. :rolleyes: