C&G Advice please

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Nick74, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Nick74

Nick74 Bit Poster

Hi Guys

I am self studying the A+, but would also like to get a bit of practical hands on while im doing it. I dont fancy paying the sort of money Computeach and the like charge to include a couple of lab days along with their self study so have looked at my local college. They are running a C&G Certificate in IT Systems Support (code is 7266 for anyone with C&G knowledge).

Any advice from anyone who has done this course?

My attitude at the moment is that im going to do the A+ anyway, so for the sake of £200-£300 i can get some physical practice, it should help motivate me to keep up with the A+, hopefully there will be at least some crossover, and although I dont think the C&G on its own is worth a great deal, two qualifications is better than 1.

If anyone has any feedback on the C&G I would be glad to hear it, good or bad. If anyone has done this course and the A+ i would be interested in your views on whether you think it is worthwhile doing the 2, or just sticking to the A+.

Many thanks

Nick

Certifications: C&G, A+
  2. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Theres no particular need to do the C&G course, get yourself over to freecycle, grab an old PC and just start poking around.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The City & Guilds course you speak of is a level 2 one, just like the A+. IMO, I would say go for it. It may also cover some things that you otherwise just skip over, plus it's an added qualification.

If you're asking if you have to go for it, then "no", you don't.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Nick74

Nick74 Bit Poster

thanks for the replies chaps.

The prospectus lists it as level 1, but i will ask the chap to clarify when he calls (need a telephone interview apparently). I know there is a similar sounding qualification they also run (once you have done this one) but it doesnt list the level on the prospectus.

I think for the time involved I will go for it. Whether an employer will look on it favourably or not doesnt really bother me at this stage as im not looking to change careers (at least for a couple of years), but im definitely someone who remembers things better through practicing them.

I will also take the advice of getting an old pc, I have a couple of old desktops and a server on promise to me from friends and family, just got to convince the missus we need to convert one room into a lab - bound to go down well! How much are sheds these days :D

Thanks again

Certifications: C&G, A+