Buying a new DVD-ROM drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cockles, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Hi guys

I think it's about time I bought a new DVD-ROM drive for my PC. I bought a Sony DVD RW AW-G107A a few days ago which to all intents and purposes is working fine, so I thought I'd compliment it with a new DVD-ROM and would really appreciate your input

I currently have a Pioneer DVD-ROM DVD 115 which is over 5 years old now (and is being a bit selective about the discs it is reading). I've just been shopping around and have been amazed at how cheap new drives are (about 10-17 quid). Does anyone have any reccomendations for makes and/or models? If these things are cheap, great, but I'd much rather pay more and get good quality.

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

you can get a dual layer RW for 19 quid, just buy another of them
    most brands are good but im especially fond of Asus and LiteOn

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Bloody hellfire, really? I bought my Sony for 35 jib in a sale, dual layer though mind.

Saying that though, I tried to make the DVD-RW my master drive and it kept crashing my Power DVD. I assume it was because it was trying to detect my old drive so when I clicked on Configure it froze, hence why I thought get a DVD-ROM only with no added flash bits

4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

wouldnt it be easier to reinstall PDVD? :P

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I was just answering the original question :)

I use a nifty bit of freeware at home, that causes conflict not even with the horrors of Windows.

Tomorrow, when I can check what it is and get back on the internet, I will tell you it's glorious identity :biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  7. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Cheers guys!!!!

I was going for the ROM option as I thought I may as well save a few quid, I have no need for two RWs

To all intents and purposes, my PowerDVD worked fine, I should have changed it to my other drive first before removing the master one, then switch it back, but my main drive is getting cranky, failing to read some discs and that. Plus, I'm also suffering from that malady where autodetect and Autorun fail to work and am curious to see if a new drive will fix it. I've tried every solution I can think of and looking through the forum, I think a lot of other people have too and are giving up on it

8. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Have ya looked at updating the firmware on the drive, that sometimes corrects read issues with newer discs etc. Althought the drive could simply be on its way out. I would agree with Phoenix on the liteon recommendation aswell. They were the only drives we used to use for testing CD/DVD's, very reliable, and cheap aswell.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

How true! There is always firmware being released for media drives. Worth a look.

I have received drives which are new models and are shipped with old(er) firmware.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  10. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Is firmware specific to a drive or is there generic XP ones? By the looks of things no one is doing any for my old Pioneer drive and my new Sony one didn;t come with any drivers etc at all.

Thanks

11. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Firmware is always specific to a drive, as using the wrong firmware can turn the drive into junk. Think of it as being similar to flashing a motherboard.

AFAIK there are never specific drivers for CD/DVD drives, the generic Windows ones are always used. The only time specifics raise their heads is for writing CDs/DVDs. Each drive usualy has some specific rules for this, but those are nearly always incorporated into the burning software.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  12. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Totally correct, i have a NEC laptop DVD-RW drive, and they released a new model that was DL. It turned out to be the same as my older drive, but with new firmware added. So i changed the firmware and got a DL drive. Always worth checking out.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  13. tuvanit

tuvanit Nibble Poster

My Asus DVD 16x lived 2.5 years T.T

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA 2003
  14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'm currently using a Plextor DVD burner. Couldn't be happier. Very high quality at an affordable price.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!