Burning Time ...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jakamoko, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Prompted by Trip's APB post, and laptop woes :arrow:

Just thought I'd give you one of my running reports on today's task. I have my bro-in-law's PC here (a Time box, with "Windows by Time, etc" on it). Well, it was sicker than a dog, and had been for too long - I finally DEMANDED he bring it to me for repair. So, today it arrived.

My only concern is that, being shop-bought, it may not like taking a clean version of Windows (a la Microsoft, not "Time, etc") However, I've run a test repair install of Windows 98 - worked OK, apart from a couple of Drivers.

So now, I'm onto the main stage of torching it, ready for a clean install of XP Pro. So far, so good, and at least I have the original Drivers CD. I will report back every so often, with any issues that arise.

I thought I'd do this for the benefit of anyone else thinking of replacing a "versioned" Windows with the real thing. Stay tuned .........

EDIT: Any comments above or hereafter are of my own opinions, and not those of CertForums. My intention is not to make derogatory comments of specific Manufacturers' products.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Well, so much for me coming back with countless tales of headache-inducing woe and distress :roll:

The XP install went without fault, didn't even ask for a single driver. Quick check through Device Manager at the end, to see what needed tying up - Nada, Zip, Zero - all devices perfectly installed :eek:

Thats without doubt the best install I've had in a while. I must say, MS have really improved there Setup process. I was all ready to be reporting all night/week, about finding this, that and the other driver or whatever, but alas not ...........

So now you can all go clean up those shop-bought boxes at last :evil:

3. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Or you know know what you are doing!!???

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Cheeky Monkey :x

:D