Building my own CCNA lab - Just a Quick Question

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by scoundrel, Jul 3, 2005.

1. scoundrel

scoundrel New Member

Hi all,

I am building my own practise lab at home and right now I have 2X2610 routers and 1X2924 switch. I am also studying in parallel at my local uni on their net academy program. As this is one day a week, in the evenings, I decided to get my own lab to supplement my practise.

I would like to know if having just 2 routers and 1 switch will give me the full fucntionality needed to complete ccna. I would also like to know just how much ram and flash memory I should have in each router, would 32mb suffice or would 64 be better? Bearing in mind that I am only using my lab for ccna and general home use.

When I look on ebay you see many sales of 3 routers and a switch or 4 routers and 2 switches, but my budget is limited somewhat and the space in my room!!!

So will my intended setup of 2 pcs, 2 routers and 1 switch be more than adequate?

Or should I get a 3rd router?

Thanx for any help and advise.

Regards,

scoundrel.

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You might want to try and lay your hands on the cisco press lab manuals for the CCNA. They will not only contain helpful exercises to hone your skills but the "official" lab configuration used by Cisco's "netacademy". That should answer your question.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. scoundrel

scoundrel New Member

Thanks for the info will see if I can locate press lab manuals.

4. Jonathan

Jonathan Nibble Poster

I'd also try and get a better switch then the one you currently have as it is out of date. Ideally get a 2950.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP BSCI
  5. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+