building a server, loads of questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shaggy, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Reading over this thread again it’s probably best to forget this project. Although it sounds like a good project if the guy won’t spend serious cash then it just won’t work.

Is a home made PC with a beta OS behind a basic firewall connected to a ADSL line going to be good solution? No.
    Do you want to put your name to that install? Hopefully not! Will the guy listen to your advice? No. This project will cause endless problems.

The company I work for offer basic web hosting. We have a leased line and a dedicated DMZ with a couple of load balanced web-servers. We offer it as an additional service for smaller companies that we support but their IT infrastructure (mainly SBS with ADSL) is not going to be suitable to host their own website. We are not a web hosting company and what we have basic, what this guy is suggesting is crazy! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

My pal on my college course got this on ebay cheap as. Here is the spec:

- Dual (2x) Intel Pentium 3 Xeon 700Mhz 2 Meg Cache Processors (Quad CPU capable)
    * - Floppy Drive
    * - CD Drive
    * - 2.5 GIGABYTES of ECC registered SDRAM
    * - Integrated Compaq Smartarray RAID Controller
    * - 3 x 18.2 Gig Hot Swap Hard Drives
    * - Compaq Dual Port 10/100 Network Controller
    * - All the usual ports
    * - 2x Hot Pluggable Power Supplies
    * - Tested with a basic installation of Windows 2000 without problems.

Goes like the clappers just installin server 2003, its takin no time.

Might be worth a try

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 210, 270, HNC Networking
    WIP: MCSA